Help with a statistical inference question regarding MLEs

• MHB
  • Thread starter cmk1300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistical
In summary, the conversation discusses the request for assistance with a practice question for an upcoming test. The question involves finding the maximum likelihood estimators of unknown parameters in two independent random samples from normal distributions. The conversation also includes a demonstration of how to derive the likelihood function using a simpler example. The final advice is to take the derivative of the loglikelihood function with respect to each parameter and set it to 0 to find the maximum value.
cmk1300
Hello, I am wondering if anyone would be able to guide me through a practice question for an upcoming test. I am not feeling very confident at this point and would very much appreciate some help!

The question is as follows;

Let {X}_{1},{X}_{2}…, {X}_{n}and {Y}_{1},{Y}_{2}…,{Y}_{m} be two independent random samples from N(μ, {σ}^{2}) and N(μ,{τ}^{2}) respectively, where the parameters 𝜇, σ,τ, are unknown with -∞< μ<∞, σ > 0 and τ > 0. Assume that {σ}^{2}≠{τ}^{2} and both are unknown. Find the maximum likelihood estimators of μ, σ and τ (Hint: the likelihood function is the product of [L(μ,{σ}^{2};{x}_{1},{x}_{2}…,{x}_{n})] and [L(μ ,{τ}^{2};{y}_{1},{y}_{2}…,{y}_{m}]

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
As instructed by the hint you need the likelihood functions $\mathcal{L}(\mu, \sigma^2, x_1,\ldots,x_n)$ and $\mathcal{L}(\mu,\tau^2, y_1,\ldots,y_m)$. Can you derive those functions? For a normal distribution $\mathcal{N}(\mu,\sigma^2)$ the pdf is given by
$$f(x) = \frac{1}{\sigma \sqrt{2\pi}} \ \mbox{exp}\ \left\{ \frac{-1}{2} \left(\frac{x-\mu}{\sigma}\right)^2 \right\}$$

The derivation steps are the parts I struggle with the most... My professor does not exactly take the time to explain them either. Could you possibly guide me through this as well please?

Maybe it would be better to see how a simpler example works.
Try the exponential distribution whose pdf is f=(1/a)e^(-x/a)
Say you have 2 observations x_i=1,5
MLE is about estimating the parameter 'a' assuming that the observations actually happened.
What's the probability of those observations happening? It is fx_1*fx_2 which is then called the likelihood function L:

L(a)= [(1/a)e^(-1/a)] [(1/a)e^(-5/a)]
L(a)= (1/a)^2*e^(-(1+5)/a)

The next step is taking the log of the expression.
We do this because it is usually much easier to take partial derivatives with a function of + and - as opposed to * and /

l(a)= ln[(1/a)^2*e^(-(1+5)/a)]
l(a)= -2ln(a) -6/a

Then we take the derivative of l(a) with respect to 'a' (since this is the parameter we're estimating) and set the equation equal to 0 which is how we get the maximum of the function (from 1st year calculus)

0= -2/a + 6/a^2
a= 3

Try to see how L(a) would change if there were 3 observations or 10 or n.

Siron gave the pdf of a normal.
First figure out what L of n observations looks like.
Then multiply that with another L with n observations and a different shape parameter.

You'll estimate each of mu, sigma and t so once you have the loglikelihood function take the derivative with respect to each of these params and set to 0.

Hope this helps

Related to Help with a statistical inference question regarding MLEs

1. What is a statistical inference question?

A statistical inference question is a question that seeks to draw conclusions or make predictions about a population based on a sample of data. It involves using statistical methods to analyze the sample data and make inferences about the larger population.

2. What is a MLE?

MLE stands for maximum likelihood estimation. It is a statistical method used to estimate the parameters of a probability distribution by finding the values that maximize the likelihood of observing the data.

3. How is the MLE calculated?

The MLE is calculated by taking the derivative of the likelihood function, setting it equal to 0, and solving for the parameter values that make the derivative equal to 0. This can be done analytically for some distributions, or numerically using a computer program.

4. How is the MLE used in statistical inference?

The MLE is used to estimate the parameters of a population based on a sample of data. These parameter estimates can then be used to make inferences about the population, such as calculating confidence intervals or testing hypotheses.

5. What are some limitations of using the MLE?

Some limitations of using the MLE include the assumption of a specific probability distribution, the need for a large enough sample size for accurate estimates, and the potential for biased estimates if the sample is not representative of the population. Additionally, the MLE may not perform well with small or extreme data values.