Is Quantum Field Theory Logically Consistent?

• Thread starter davidpbrown
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses whether it is valid to use logic in the study of the quantum world. While some argue that quantum field theory is logically consistent, others suggest that our understanding may be incomplete and we should not dismiss logic. The main point is that logic is still a useful process, but some of our assumptions about the quantum world may need to be reexamined.
davidpbrown
A thread in another place has lead us to question whether it is valid to use logic to approach the quantum world!

Although I feel this is a stupid question I have no authority to suggest the poster is talking nonsense.

Can someone suggest whether the statement
"The quantum world, viewed in terms of quantum field theory is
logically consistent, and does not lead to illogical thinking."
is true or false?

That statement was used in defense of logic against statements that suggest you should throw out "classical worldviews and formal logic".

The posters now resorting to insult but an injection of good sense and knowledge on the matter I feel would be very useful.

The full thread if your interested is at http://forums.philosophyforums.com/showthread.php?t=3127

Thanks and regards
davidpbrown

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum Field Theory is not irrational. It is developed using valid mathematics from reasonable physical assumptions. Its development does not in any way call formal logic into question.

That said, it is true that the fifty-year effort to prove QFD logically and mathematically consistent has so far come up empty, and there may be reasons to believe it will never be proved so.

Originally posted by davidpbrown

Can someone suggest whether the statement
"The quantum world, viewed in terms of quantum field theory is
logically consistent, and does not lead to illogical thinking."
is true or false?

The possiblity is that some mathematical pathways may not work out having a provable comport in some sense of a reality that we can measure, but the math will follow a logic.

If we follow the logic, based upon the leading by mathematics, we have the possibliity of being mislead, as natures manner way have turned, and we missed it.

BUT, "Viewed in terms of Quantum Field Theory" it should appear very consistent.

Thankyou for the replys, very helpful.

The suggestion, from wuliheron, is now that Bell's Theorum doesn't have rational explanation..

I've not seen this before but so far it only suggests to me our understanding is incomplete not that we should dismiss logic.

davidpbrown

I wouldn't worry too much about what someone who has never learned QM says about the subject. Advice: Don't waste your time.

Well yes, but then I don't like to give up on someone by default.. the argument has already introduced me to a new area. Of course there can come a point after which neither side benefits.

davidpbrown
-------------

Give me fruitful error anytime full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself. [Vilfredo Pareto: The Mind and Society]

I'm speaking pretty randomly but I think the point being made is that QFT is deductively logical, but inductively not. Hence logic is still useful as a process, but apparently obvious axioms should be called into question.

Sort of.

1. What is the best way to ask for help with a simple question?

The best way to ask for help with a simple question is to be clear and concise. Provide a brief explanation of the question and any relevant background information. Also, make sure to use proper grammar and punctuation to ensure that your question is easy to understand.

2. Where can I find help for a simple question?

There are many resources available for getting help with a simple question. You can ask a friend or family member who has knowledge in the subject, consult a textbook or online tutorial, or seek assistance from a teacher or tutor.

3. How can I make sure my question is not too complex for someone to help me with?

The best way to ensure your question is not too complex is to break it down into smaller parts and ask for help with each individual part. This will make it easier for someone to understand your question and provide a helpful answer.

4. Is it okay to ask for help with a simple question?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help with a simple question. Everyone has questions at some point, and it is important to seek assistance when needed. Asking for help shows a willingness to learn and improve, which is a valuable trait in any field of science.

5. What should I do if I am embarrassed to ask for help with a simple question?

If you are feeling embarrassed to ask for help, remember that everyone starts somewhere and it is completely normal to have questions. You can also try seeking help from online forums or discussion boards where you can ask anonymously. Don't let embarrassment hold you back from learning and seeking the assistance you need.