Help with air resistance in projectile motion

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with basic mathematical analysis for their project on tank projectiles and their air resistance. They are looking for equations or online software to calculate this, but have not found anything comprehensive. They are also struggling to find the drag coefficient for their specific projectiles and are considering using a similar shape as an approximation. A potential solution is to play with the drag coefficient values until the distance traveled matches the range of the projectile.
AC-130U
I need some help doing very basic mathematical analysis (what would be expected of a Calculus 1 and current Physics 1 student) for my project about tank projectiles, anything to calculate something about their air resistance/air drag, yet everything I have found has either been too simple (drag not proportional to velocity squared) or way too complex (involving wind tunnel test data, which I don't think I'm collecting anytime soon). Any equations or online ballistic calculation software will do, one of my teachers suggested this spreadsheet (http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/581/ProjectilesExcel.html, go to the bottom and click download the spreadsheet), which looked promising until I realized that the drag coefficient b was a pr-entered number. I don't have much numerical data about each projectile (here is an example http://www.imi-israel.com/vault/documents/105-mm%20hesh-t%20m156_en_draft-04.pdf ). Is there anything that any of you know of that can help me?
Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You probably not be able to get the drag coefficient unless you have some wind tunnel or cfd data which doesn't seem like for tank munitions. Your best bet is to find something with a similar shape and use the drag coefficient of that shape as an approximation. So if someone has already developed a spreadsheet that will do what you need then you should probably use it.

RandomGuy88 said:
You probably not be able to get the drag coefficient unless you have some wind tunnel or cfd data which doesn't seem like for tank munitions. Your best bet is to find something with a similar shape and use the drag coefficient of that shape as an approximation. So if someone has already developed a spreadsheet that will do what you need then you should probably use it.

In the spreadsheet I don't believe it makes any mention of the projectile shape though, and my project incorporates different styles of projectiles which probably have different drag coefficients. Thank you for your response though.

*update
Actually the calculus teacher just suggested that I play with the drag coefficient and try to edit in numbers until the x distance traveled is equal to the range that I gathered for that projectile type.

Last edited:

1. What is air resistance in projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as air drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. This force is caused by the interaction of the object's surface with the air molecules in its path.

2. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by reducing the speed and altering the trajectory of the object. This is because the force of air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the object, slowing it down and changing its direction.

3. Can air resistance be ignored in projectile motion?

No, air resistance cannot be completely ignored in projectile motion. While it may not have a noticeable effect on small, light objects or over short distances, it becomes increasingly significant as the size and speed of the object increases.

4. How can air resistance be reduced in projectile motion?

Air resistance can be reduced in projectile motion by making the object more aerodynamic or by increasing its mass. This helps to minimize the surface area and increase the weight of the object, making it less susceptible to the effects of air resistance.

5. How does air resistance affect the range of a projectile?

The presence of air resistance can decrease the range of a projectile by decreasing its speed and altering its trajectory. This is because the force of air resistance acts against the forward motion of the projectile, slowing it down and causing it to fall to the ground sooner.