Projectile motion air resistance calculator - tutorial?

In summary, the person is asking for a tutorial on how to calculate air resistance in a projectile motion using a calculator. They state that they are not familiar with terms and words in physics, but that they hope the person can excuse them. They explain that they will be using the following values: mass, air density, velocity, and angle. They mention that they know how to integrate a system of differential equations and that Mr. Newton said: "dVx/dt=(-1/2 C rho A V^2 cos(theta))/m." They ask the person to help them understand how to use this information practically. Lastly, they ask for the person's time.
Pega
Projectile motion air resistance calculator - tutorial??

I am not familiar with the terms/words of physics in English, but I hope you can excuse me.

I need a tutorial for how to calculate the air resistance in a projectile motion. I want to do it with my calculator and that's why I came here. I wonder if any of you might know about such a tutorial, or if you want to guide me right here.

I use a Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus.

If you want to guide me right here it would be for my advantage to use these values:

Formula --> F = (1/2)CρAv2

C = 0.45
Air density ρ = 1.22 kg/m3
Mass m = 2.58 g
A = π*r2, r = 1.91 cm
V0 = 25 m/s
anlge = 40°

Please try to be clear when explain.

Physics news on Phys.org

*bump*

I see you assume a constant drag coefficient; a nice fact because it simplifies the analysis.
I also assume you know how to integrate a system of differential equations.
Mr Newton says:

dVx/dt=(-1/2 C rho A V^2 cos(theta))/m
dVy/dt=(-g-1/2 C rho A V^2 sin(theta))/m
dx/dt=Vx
dy/dt=Vy

This is the set of four differential equations I mentioned above.

And the additional relationships:

V^2=Vx^2+Vy^2
cos(theta)=Vx/V
sin(theta)=Vy/V

I read the manual for my calculator and now I have gotten further.
Down below I show you print screens of how far I've gotten. Then hopefully you understand what I've done and will help me the last bit.
Skärm1.jpg
Skärm2.jpg
Skärm3.jpg

As you see I've managed to put in the projectile motion without air resistance. So how do I put in the air resistance in this?
I'm not sure if I have understood all of what you wrote, but I think that if you/someone show me what to do here, I will get it.
I see you assume a constant drag coefficient; a nice fact because it simplifies the analysis.
So if I were to use this practically, you mean that the drag coefficient would differ over time?? (I'm not that well-grounded in this subject) Because of the projectile changing shape? Or of some other more advanced physical explenation?

Thanks for your time.

*bump*

*bump*

1. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It acts in the opposite direction of the motion and can significantly affect the trajectory of a projectile. As the object moves through the air, it experiences a drag force that increases with its velocity. This results in a decrease in the object's speed and a change in its direction.

2. Why is it important to consider air resistance in projectile motion calculations?

Air resistance is an important factor to consider in projectile motion calculations because it can significantly affect the accuracy and precision of the results. Neglecting air resistance can lead to incorrect predictions of the projectile's trajectory and landing point, especially for objects moving at high speeds or over long distances.

3. How is air resistance calculated in projectile motion?

Air resistance is typically calculated using the drag equation, which takes into account the object's velocity, cross-sectional area, and drag coefficient. The drag coefficient is a measure of the object's shape and surface properties, and it varies depending on the object's size and speed. To accurately calculate air resistance, the drag equation needs to be integrated over time to account for the changes in velocity and position of the object.

4. Can air resistance be ignored in projectile motion?

In most cases, air resistance cannot be ignored in projectile motion. The only scenarios where air resistance can be neglected is when the object is very small or moving at a relatively low speed. In these cases, the drag force is minimal and can be considered negligible compared to other forces acting on the object.

5. How can I use a projectile motion air resistance calculator?

A projectile motion air resistance calculator can be used by entering the initial conditions of the projectile, such as its initial velocity, angle of launch, and the air resistance parameters of the object. The calculator will then use the appropriate equations to calculate the projectile's trajectory, taking into account the effects of air resistance. This can be useful for predicting the landing point of a projectile or for understanding the impact of air resistance on the motion of an object.