Help with algebra Invertible matrixes

• Thread starter boa_co
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, we have to prove or disprove two statements. The first statement is true, as any upper triangular matrix can be multiplied by an invertible matrix to result in an upper triangular matrix. The second statement is also true, as the sum of all entries in each row of the inverse of an invertible matrix is equal to one.
boa_co
hi

Homework Statement

I have to prove or disprove the following statements:

1. Let B be a square matrix nxn. Then there must be an Invertible A such that AB is an upper triangular matrix.
2. Let A be a square Invertible matrix nxn such that the sum of all the entries in each row is equal to one. Then the sum of all the entries in each row of inverse A is also equal to one.

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry. don't quite know how to approach it. Any hint will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. This statement is true. A can be chosen to be any upper triangular matrix of the same size as B, since this will be invertible and multiplying it by B will result in an upper triangular matrix. 2. This statement is also true. Since A is invertible, then its inverse A-1 exists, and A-1A = I where I is the nxn identity matrix. Since the sum of all entries in each row of I is 1, then the sum of all entries in each row of A-1 is also equal to one.

What is an invertible matrix?

An invertible matrix is a square matrix that has a unique inverse. This means that when multiplied with its inverse, the result is an identity matrix.

How can I determine if a matrix is invertible?

A matrix is invertible if its determinant is non-zero. This can be checked by using elementary row operations to reduce the matrix to an upper triangular form. If all the diagonal elements are non-zero, then the matrix is invertible.

What is the purpose of inverting a matrix in algebra?

Inverting a matrix is useful in solving systems of linear equations and finding the inverse of a linear transformation. It also allows for easier computation of certain operations, such as finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix.

How is the inverse of a matrix calculated?

The inverse of a matrix can be calculated using the adjugate matrix method or the Gaussian elimination method. Both methods involve using elementary row operations to manipulate the matrix and find its inverse.

Can every matrix be inverted?

No, not every matrix has an inverse. A matrix must be square and have a non-zero determinant in order to be invertible. If the determinant is zero, the matrix is said to be singular and does not have an inverse.