Is Im(A) Equal to Im(AV) for an Invertible Matrix V?

In summary, The Attempt at a Solution found that im(A) = im(AV) if y ∈ I am A and im(A) ⊆ im(AV) if y ∈ I am AV.
Abtinnn

Homework Statement

[/B]
If A is an mxn matrix, show that for each invertible nxn matrix V, im(A) = im(AV)

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that im(A) can also be written as the span of columns of A.
I also know that AV = [Av1 Av2 ... Avn]
so im(AV) is the span of the columns of that matrix. However, I don't understand how the two can be equal.

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget the spanning vectors for a moment. What does it mean for a vector x to be in ##im A##. ##im (A V)## resp.?

fresh_42 said:
Forget the spanning vectors for a moment. What does it mean for a vector x to be in ##im A##. ##im (A V)## resp.?
If A is mxn and y ∈ im(A), then y can be written as Ax, where x ∈ Rn.
If y ∈ im(AV) then y can be written as (AV)x, where x ∈ Rn.

Right. Now all you need is the associative law for linear functions for one inclusion and to put ##V \cdot V^{-1} = 1## somewhere in between for the other inclusion. ##im (A \cdot V) ⊆ I am A## and ##im (A \cdot V) ⊇ I am A##

Actually you've already proved one inclusion by explaining to me.

Likes Abtinnn
fresh_42 said:
Right. Now all you need is the associative law for linear functions for one inclusion and to put ##V \cdot V^{-1} = 1## somewhere in between for the other inclusion. ##im (A \cdot V) ⊆ I am A## and ##im (A \cdot V) ⊇ I am A##

Actually you've already proved one inclusion by explaining to me.

I believe I understand it! Could you please check if I've got it right?

Assume y ∈ I am A
then y = Ax = (AVV-1)x
y = AV(V-1x)
since V-1x ∈ Rn, then y ∈ im(AV) and im(A) ⊆ im(AV)

Assume y ∈ I am AV
then y = AVx = A(Vx)
since Vx ∈ Rn, then y ∈ im(A) and im(AV) ⊆ im(A)

Therefore im(A) = im(AV).

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it :)

You're welcome.

1. What is an image space?

An image space is a mathematical concept used in computer graphics to represent a digital image. It is a set of coordinates or pixels that describe the location and color of each point in an image.

2. How is a problem on the image space defined?

A problem on the image space refers to any issue or challenge that arises when working with images in computer graphics. This could include problems with image quality, resolution, or distortions due to transformations.

3. What are some common problems encountered in the image space?

Some common problems in the image space include pixelation, aliasing, compression artifacts, and color inaccuracies. These can occur due to limitations in the image data, processing techniques, or display devices.

4. How can problems on the image space be solved?

Solving problems on the image space often involves using algorithms or techniques to enhance or manipulate the image data. This could include filtering, interpolation, or color correction methods, among others.

5. How does the image space relate to other fields of science?

The concept of the image space is used not only in computer graphics but also in fields such as computer vision, image processing, and artificial intelligence. It is a fundamental concept in understanding and analyzing digital images.