Help with algebraic manipulation of an inequality

In summary, we are trying to prove the statement that for any real numbers x and y, if x < y, then x < ty + (1-t)x < y for all t, 0 < t < 1. By algebraic manipulation, we can show that x < ty + (1-t)x < y, which is what we need to prove.
pzzldstudent
Let R denote the set of all real numbers and Q the set of all rational numbers.

Statement to prove:
If x and y are in R with x < y, show that x < ty + (1-t)x < y
for all t, 0 < t < 1.

My work on the proof so far:

Given x and y are real numbers with x < y. By theorem we know there exists an r in Q such that x < r < y. Take r = t. So x < t < y.

That's all I have so far.

My professor said this proof was more of algebraic manipulation. I am stuck as to how I can algebraically manipulate the inequality to get to x < ty + (1-t)x < y.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok , here it is what i think

since y>x=> y-x>0, now since 0<t<1, we have

0<t(y-x)<y-x add an x on both sides and we get

x<t(y-x)+x<y-x+x

x<ty-tx+x<y

x<ty+(1-t)x<y

what we actually need to show

If x<y then xt+x(1-t)<yt+x(1-t)<yt+y(1-t).

thanks for all the replies. i will try all these and reply back when I've gotten more work done on my own.

thank you very much!

sutupidmath said:
ok , here it is what i think

since y>x=> y-x>0, now since 0<t<1, we have

0<t(y-x)<y-x add an x on both sides and we get

x<t(y-x)+x<y-x+x

x<ty-tx+x<y

x<ty+(1-t)x<y

what we actually need to show

Awesome! Thank you very much.:smile: That was very clear. I totally understood it and get it now! :cool:

1. How do I solve an inequality in algebra?

To solve an inequality in algebra, you need to perform the same operations on both sides of the inequality sign to isolate the variable. Remember to flip the inequality sign if you multiply or divide both sides by a negative number.

2. What are the rules for manipulating inequalities?

The rules for manipulating inequalities are similar to the rules for manipulating equations. You can add or subtract the same number to both sides, multiply or divide both sides by the same positive number, and flip the inequality sign if you multiply or divide both sides by a negative number.

3. Can I solve an inequality using algebraic properties?

Yes, algebraic properties such as the distributive property, associative property, and commutative property can be used to solve inequalities. However, always remember to apply these properties to both sides of the inequality sign.

4. How can I check my solution to an inequality?

You can check your solution to an inequality by plugging in the value of the variable into the original inequality and seeing if it satisfies the inequality. If it does, then your solution is correct.

5. Are there any special cases when solving inequalities?

Yes, there are two special cases when solving inequalities. The first is when you have an absolute value in the inequality, in which case you need to consider both the positive and negative solutions. The second is when the variable is in the denominator of a fraction, in which case you need to make sure the denominator is not equal to zero.