Help with Allen Head Cap bolts

In summary, A person is seeking help with identifying and replacing the low quality allen cap bolts on their new aluminium headphone amp. They are unsure of the size and looking for advice on sizing conventions and where to purchase replacements. A suggestion is made to take one of the bolts to a local hardware store or try purchasing from McMaster with the correct style and code number.
Lock
Help with Allen Head Cap bolts...

Hi,
Received today a new headphone amp. It is aluminium construction and uses 4 allen cap bolts at each end to hold the case together. It is all good (was cheap), but the bolts used are clearly low quality and don't look right. I would like to replace them but can't find details on what size they are (head looks about 3/16 (3mm) wide, and allen looks like 1.5-2mm). I would imagine the bolt is only about 10mm long max, maybe more like 5mm. I will have to unscrew to check, but I don't want to do this until I'm reasonably sure I can replace.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum. Anybody advise on the sizing convention for these type of bolts (metric and imperial-Im not sure which these are), and where to buy replacements?

Many thanks in advance
Lock

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Lock.
The cap screw is just a head style on a regularly sized bolt. You can get a replacement with just about any head style you want. Just take one down to your local hardware store and they'll set you up with a match.

Or try McMaster ones you know the style and code

1. What are Allen Head Cap bolts?

Allen Head Cap bolts are a type of fastener that have a hexagonal socket in the head, designed to be used with an Allen wrench or hex key. They are commonly used in various industries and applications due to their durability and tamper-resistant design.

2. How do I determine the right size Allen Head Cap bolt for my project?

The size of an Allen Head Cap bolt is determined by the diameter of the bolt's shank, measured in both imperial (inches) and metric (millimeters) units. To determine the right size, you will need to measure the diameter of the hole where the bolt will be inserted and choose a bolt with a shank diameter slightly smaller than the hole.

3. What is the difference between an Allen Head Cap bolt and a regular hex bolt?

The main difference is the type of wrench or tool needed to tighten the bolt. Allen Head Cap bolts require an Allen wrench or hex key, while regular hex bolts can be tightened with a standard wrench or socket. Additionally, Allen Head Cap bolts have a more streamlined and low-profile design compared to regular hex bolts.

4. Are there any special considerations when using Allen Head Cap bolts?

Yes, there are a few things to keep in mind when using Allen Head Cap bolts. First, make sure to use the correct size and type of wrench to avoid stripping the socket. Also, be aware that the tamper-resistant design of these bolts may make them more difficult to remove, so it is important to use the correct level of torque when tightening them.

5. Can I reuse Allen Head Cap bolts?

It is generally not recommended to reuse Allen Head Cap bolts. They are designed to be used once and then replaced, as the repeated tightening and loosening can cause the socket to wear down and potentially lead to failure. It is best to use new bolts for each project to ensure the safety and integrity of the fasteners.