Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Allen Head Cap bolts

1. Apr 8, 2008 #1
    Help with Allen Head Cap bolts....

Received today a new headphone amp. It is aluminium construction and uses 4 allen cap bolts at each end to hold the case together. It is all good (was cheap), but the bolts used are clearly low quality and don't look right. I would like to replace them but can't find details on what size they are (head looks about 3/16 (3mm) wide, and allen looks like 1.5-2mm). I would imagine the bolt is only about 10mm long max, maybe more like 5mm. I will have to unscrew to check, but I don't want to do this until I'm reasonably sure I can replace.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum. Anybody advise on the sizing convention for these type of bolts (metric and imperial-Im not sure which these are), and where to buy replacements?

Many thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2008 #2

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Lock.
    The cap screw is just a head style on a regularly sized bolt. You can get a replacement with just about any head style you want. Just take one down to your local hardware store and they'll set you up with a match.
  4. Apr 8, 2008 #3
    Or try McMaster ones you know the style and code
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?