Help with an airplane problem (relative velocity)

In summary, the problem involves an airplane pilot's compass course due west and airspeed of 218 km/hr. After flying for 0.510 hr, she ends up over a town a distance of 124 km west and 16 km south of her starting point. To find the magnitude of the wind velocity, the plane's velocity with respect to the ground (ground speed) needs to be calculated first. This can be done by dividing the wind into two components - vsouth and vwest - and using the given data to find the total westbound displacement. The law of cosines can also be used to calculate the angle between the plane's air velocity and ground velocity.
ccsmarty

Homework Statement

An airplane pilot sets a compass course due west and maintains an airspeed of 218 km/hr. After flying for a time of 0.510 hr, she finds herself over a town a distance 124km west and a distance 16 km south of her starting point. Find the magnitude of the wind velocity (in m/s).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

diagram.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You're making the assumption that wind velocity is southbound... it might not be...

What would be a better assumption then? I could use any help because I've been working on this problem for a while, and I'm not getting anywhere :(.

ccsmarty said:
What would be a better assumption then? I could use any help because I've been working on this problem for a while, and I'm not getting anywhere :(.
You should calculate the plane's velocity with respect to Earth (ground speed) first. (I'm no pilot, but i would have thought that if she set her compass west, she'd end up due west, but i guess not, according to the problem).

Try solving other way, so that you can avoid geometry.

v[ab]= v[ar]+v[rc]+...+v[pq]+v[qb]
and v[xy] = -v[xy]

ccsmarty said:

You know the wind has a component southbound... because the plane ends up south... you don't know whether it has a east bound or west bound component...

I like rootx's method... divide wind into 2 components... vsouth, and vwest (ie assume wind is southwest, if vwest comes out negative then it was pointed southeast).

You can easily calculate the southbound component... you know the southbound displacement...

For the westbound component you need to add the plane's velocity...

learningphysics said:
You know the wind has a component southbound... because the plane ends up south... you don't know whether it has a east bound or west bound component...

I like rootx's method... divide wind into 2 components... vsouth, and vwest (ie assume wind is southwest, if vwest comes out negative then it was pointed southeast).

You can easily calculate the southbound component... you know the southbound displacement...

For the westbound component you need to add the plane's velocity...

We can solve it by vectors. Learning physics has made a good point that the wind's velocity can be in any direction so in that case we can resolve the vector and proceed.

But suppose that the wind is not even southwest or southeast but it is some other add angle like say 65 or 35. Is this case possible/ I think it is . So in this case what to do? Hence i feel that the wind's direction is only in the south. And then we can do it by the normal equations.

Last edited:
But the plane ends up south... so the wind must have a southbound component, not northbound...

Also, 0.51h * 218km/h = 111.18 km, so the plane alone would only go 111.18km in 0.51 hrs... But the total westbound displacement is 124km as given in the problem... so the wind has a westbound component.

They gave the time it took... I agree that if we didn't have the time, we'd have to assume wind direction... but since the time is given we don't need to.

I never was too fond of the law of cosines, but it certainly seems applicable here, where the plane's air velocity is given, and it's ground velocity, and angle between each, is easily calculated from the given data...

learningphysics said:
But the plane ends up south... so the wind must have a southbound component, not northbound...

Also, 0.51h * 218km/h = 111.18 km, so the plane alone would only go 111.18km in 0.51 hrs... But the total westbound displacement is 124km as given in the problem... so the wind has a westbound component.

They gave the time it took... I agree that if we didn't have the time, we'd have to assume wind direction... but since the time is given we don't need to.

Yes, you are right. I totally forgot that the time was given.

1. What is relative velocity and why is it important in aviation?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. In aviation, it is important because it helps determine the speed and direction of an airplane relative to the air around it, which is crucial for accurate navigation and safe flying.

2. How does relative velocity affect takeoff and landing?

During takeoff, the relative velocity of the airplane must be carefully managed in order to generate enough lift for the plane to become airborne. During landing, the relative velocity must be reduced enough to allow the plane to safely touch down on the runway.

3. Can relative velocity be affected by wind?

Yes, wind can significantly affect the relative velocity of an airplane. Tailwinds can increase the relative velocity, making takeoff and landing distances shorter, while headwinds can decrease the relative velocity, making takeoff and landing distances longer.

4. How can pilots adjust for changes in relative velocity during flight?

Pilots can adjust for changes in relative velocity by adjusting the airspeed and angle of attack of the airplane. They may also need to make course corrections to compensate for changes in wind direction and speed.

5. What are some potential dangers of not properly accounting for relative velocity?

If relative velocity is not properly accounted for, it can lead to inaccurate navigation, difficulty maintaining control of the airplane, and potential collisions with other aircraft. It could also result in the airplane not being able to generate enough lift to stay airborne, or causing it to stall or lose control during landing.