Help with Bernoulli's Equation

In summary, this person is having difficulty understanding the terms in the Bernoulli equation and needs help understanding it.
adamlep14

Homework Statement

i need to make a sample problem for a physics project using Bernoulli's equation, the real life situation it must be applied to is flight

Homework Equations

P+.5pv^2+pgy = constant

The Attempt at a Solution

this physics is too involved for my understanding. I've looked in countless textbooks and on many webpages for a sample to base mine on but to no avail.

help much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a double post, you shouldn't do that! But the physics of the Bernouilli equation is not very involved at all. You probagbly know that there is such a thing as energy (like that of moving boedies or heated objects etc.) and it is conserved. Now Bernoullis equation says that in the absence of friction the energy of a fluid can be approximated by three relevant terms:

[tex]P+.5\rho v^2+\rho gy = constant[/tex]

The 2nd term is the kinetic (motion) energy of the fluid moving with a velocity v; you might know the expression [tex].5 m v^2[/tex] for a single object with mass m. In this expression it is divided by the volume to yield the density [tex]\rho[/tex].

The third expression is the gravitational energy, i.e. the 'potential energy' an object has in a gravitational field. You might know the expression mgh, which is the same when you divide it again by the volume. When you release such an object this energy decreases and the body starts moving, so the kinetic energy increases. Assuming the first term Bernoullis equation implies that the increase in kinetic energy equals the decrease in gravitational 'potential' energy to yield a sum that remains constant.

The first term indicates the heat energy of the fluid (again divided by the volume to yield a description per volume) in terms of the pressure of the fluid.

Now pick a pressure P, a density [tex]\rho[/tex] and a velocity (g=9,8m/s^2). Now Bernouillis law says that at a different point in space (in absence of friction) the sum of the three energies should be the same. E.g. it allows you to calculate the fluids velocity when at the other point all other quantities are known.

Good luck!

I am having an issue reconciling the units in the Bernoulli equation I find on the internet:

V^2/2 + P/p = k

V^2/2 units => ft^2/sec^2

P/p units => ft

It would appear that the V^2/2 kinetic term needs to be devided by g (ft/sec^2) but I find that in none of the equations as written, so it leaves a gap in my understanding. What am I missing here?

l1nkh0gthr0b said:
P/p units => ft
This is not true.

What are you using for units of P and p? They refer to pressure and density, respectively.

units of P are #/ft^2;
units of p are #/ft^3;
then units of P/p are ft.

Not quite.

For P, we use pounds-force.
For p, we use pounds-mass.

They are different units.

Yes, and the two are related by (g/gc), which makes them interchangable on the Earth's surface. For simplicity I omitted the conversion.

1. What is Bernoulli's Equation and what does it represent?

Bernoulli's Equation is an equation that relates the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid in a closed system. It represents the conservation of energy for an ideal fluid flow, and is used to calculate the pressure or velocity at different points in the fluid.

2. How is Bernoulli's Equation derived?

Bernoulli's Equation can be derived from the principles of conservation of mass and energy, along with assumptions about the fluid flow being steady, incompressible, and frictionless. It is a simplified version of the Navier-Stokes equations for fluid dynamics.

3. What are the applications of Bernoulli's Equation?

Bernoulli's Equation has many practical applications, including in fluid mechanics, aerodynamics, and hydraulic engineering. It is used to design and analyze the performance of various systems, such as airfoils, pumps, and pipelines.

4. Can Bernoulli's Equation be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, Bernoulli's Equation can be applied to real-life situations, as long as the assumptions made in its derivation are met. However, in most cases, there will be some level of deviation from the ideal conditions, so the results should be interpreted with caution.

5. Are there any limitations to using Bernoulli's Equation?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Bernoulli's Equation. It can only be applied to ideal fluids, which means that it cannot be used for gases or non-ideal liquids. It also assumes a steady flow and neglects the effects of friction, which may not always be accurate in real-life situations.