1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Chem Homework

1. Mar 24, 2005 #1
    Can someone tell me how to write this equation?
    Germanium dioxide (GeO2) is heated with carbon to obtain germanium and carbon monoxide.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2005 #2
    GeO2 + C + Heat => Ge + CO

You can balance it yourself, its pretty easy. You wouldnt normally write + heat but I can't draw the enthalpy arrow on here.

4. Mar 24, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write it

[tex] GeO_{2}+C+\mathcal{Q}\rightarrow Ge+CO\uparrow [/tex]

and do the redox.

Daniel.

5. Mar 25, 2005 #4

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nice LaTex Dan!!, nice touch on CO going off as a gas. I might have used [tex] Q [/tex] instead of [tex] \mathcal{Q} [/tex]. But that's just me. :biggrin: So that is a better symbol for adding heat rather than [tex] \Delta H[/tex] ? :uhh: By the way Dfly, redox is an "advanced" way of reminding you to balance your equation.

6. Mar 26, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Everyone knows that [itex] H [/itex] stands for enthalpy (where it is possible not to confuse it with the hamiltonian),while [itex] Q/\mathcal{Q} [/itex] stands for heat.:wink:

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?