Help with Derivation of Linearized Einstein Field Eqns

In summary, the conversation discusses finding gαβ for the equation gαβ = ηαβ + hαβ, with the condition |hαβ|<<1. The speaker is stuck and asks for help, and another person suggests using the expressions gαβ = ηαβ - hαβ and g^αβ = η^αβ - h^αβ to find an identity. Ultimately, it is mentioned that the only Lagrange action for a spin 2 field is the linearized Hilbert-Einstein action.
epovo
Hi all -
I am trying to follow a derivation of the above. At some point I need to find gαβ for
gαβ = ηαβ + hαβ
with |hαβ|<<1
I am stuck. The text says
gαβ = ηαβ - hαβ
but I cannot figure out why. Can anybody help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you want both expressions to be each-other inverses, up to linear order in the metric perturbation h. So what do you get?

Take ##g_{\alpha\beta}=\eta_{\alpha\beta}+h_{\alpha\beta}## and ##g^{\alpha\beta}=\eta^{\alpha\beta}-h^{\alpha\beta}## and multiply them together and what do you get?

I get an identity as long as ##h_{\alpha\beta} h^{\alpha\beta}## is <<1

Voila!. The quadratic term is discarded. Depending on the source, ##h_{\alpha\beta}## is called the Pauli-Fierz field. It was discovered by Pauli and Fierz as far back as 1939 that the only Lagrange action (hence field equations) describing a spin 2 field is necessarily the linearized Hilbert-Einstein action.

Likes vanhees71
Thank you guys!

Related to Help with Derivation of Linearized Einstein Field Eqns

1. What are the Einstein field equations?

The Einstein field equations are a set of ten equations in general relativity that describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy within it.

2. What does it mean to linearize the Einstein field equations?

Linearizing the Einstein field equations means approximating them using linear equations, which is a simplification technique commonly used in physics and mathematics. This is often done to make the equations easier to solve or to study certain properties of the system.

3. Why is it useful to linearize the Einstein field equations?

Linearizing the Einstein field equations allows us to study the behavior of the equations in simpler, more controlled scenarios. This can help us better understand the fundamental principles of general relativity and make predictions about the behavior of spacetime in specific situations.

4. How is the linearized version of the Einstein field equations different from the original equations?

The linearized version of the Einstein field equations is a simplified and approximated version of the original equations. It only considers the effects of small perturbations on the curvature of spacetime, while the original equations take into account all possible variations in the distribution of matter and energy.

5. What are the applications of the linearized Einstein field equations?

The linearized Einstein field equations have a wide range of applications in astrophysics and cosmology. They are used to study the behavior of black holes, gravitational waves, and the large-scale structure of the universe. They also play a crucial role in the development of theories such as inflation and the study of the early universe.