Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with design for moving a box

1. Jul 13, 2016 #1
    Hi, I'm trying to design a contraption for a project that will move an item/box up and to the side. I have a picture of what it should look like and how it should look like but I need help with the mechanics of it. The box's starting position is In the ground and under a slap of metal or wood but I need it to come out up top. So what I've been thinking is making something that you could tap with a pedal and it would come up over the metal slap and then out so it doesn't hit it. Let me know if you can think of any ways I can do that. I've attached some (poor) drawings

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

One of the reasons for no replies in 5 hours is that your sketch is pretty much unreadable. Could you please try to make a better sketch? What is the context (work/hobby/school)? What is the application? What are the dimensions? It sounds like you are trying to eject a hot object out of an oven -- are there safety concerns? Help us out a little here so we can try to help you please.

4. Jul 13, 2016 #3
    I apologize for the inconvenience, this is for school, we're supposed to make an design so I based it on something I have been trying to improve at work. I'm trying to move a box that is on a holder on the ground up to about waist level but the box needs to move up and out. I was thinking a good/convenient way would be to operate it with a pedal but I'm still brainstorming. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'll be sure to include more pictures and better sketches so that is clearer. Again I apologize.

5. Jul 13, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

No worries, and no need to apolgize. Yes, pictures would help a lot. Even if they are just pictures of you hand lifting the object through the range of motion. :smile:

6. Jul 14, 2016 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Foot pedals don't usually have much travel. It sounds like the box must have a lot of travel so a purely mechanical system of levers would increase the force required. There might also be issues with controlling the speed. Small accidental foot movement produces large change in velocity. Something to think about if that's what you were planning.

7. Jul 14, 2016 #6
    How big / heavy is everything? This will alter mechanical requirements of your design.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted