Help with differential equation

In summary, the individual has been struggling with a certain differential equation for a long time and is seeking advice on how to solve it. They provide a link to the book where the problem is from and mention that the solution is provided. They also mention that the variables x, y, and z are interdependent and not functions. Suggestions and attempts at solving the equation are also discussed.
ForMyThunder
I've been having trouble with this one differential equation for a VERY long time. This is not homework.

[tex]\frac{dx}{y+z}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{dy}{x+z}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{dz}{x+y}[/tex]

Any suggestions on where to start? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ForMyThunder said:
I've been having trouble with this one differential equation for a VERY long time. This is not homework.

[tex]\frac{dx}{y+z}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{dy}{x+z}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{dz}{x+y}[/tex]

Any suggestions on where to start? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Is it still coursework? If so, I need to move this to the Homework Help forums.

berkeman said:
Is it still coursework? If so, I need to move this to the Homework Help forums.

No, it's in a book I'm using to learn how to solve differential equations; a century-old book.

The book is here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=NI...rontcover&dq=differential+equations#PPA259,M1

On page 259, problem 3. The solution is with it.

I just need to see how to arrive at that answer. It's been bugging me for a month or two. =\

Last edited:
Hey,

Since I can't quite browse the book (assuming such function should be available), could you possibly post here the solution provided? Furthermore, and I ask as I'm not very acquainted with the notation used, are you asked to solve for z = z(x), y = y(x)? If that is the case, how about y = z = x ?

Renmazuo said:
Hey,

Since I can't quite browse the book (assuming such function should be available), could you possibly post here the solution provided? Furthermore, and I ask as I'm not very acquainted with the notation used, are you asked to solve for z = z(x), y = y(x)? If that is the case, how about y = z = x ?

The solution is:

[tex]\sqrt{x+y+z}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{a}{z-y}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{b}{x-z}[/tex]

On account of the chapter, I do not think that x, y, and z are functions, more like the three interdependent variables.

Hi there!

I'm not sure if this would help solving the system, but I'll post it :)

[tex]\frac{dx}{y+z}=\frac{dy}{x+z}=\frac{dz}{x+y}[/tex]

from it, we obtain the system:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{x+z}{y+z}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dz}{dx}=\frac{x+y}{z+y}[/tex]

where [tex]y\rightarrow y(x)[/tex] and [tex]z\rightarrow z(x)[/tex]

or

[tex]y'=\frac{x+z}{y+z}[/tex]
[tex]z'=\frac{x+y}{z+y}[/tex]

now, adding the two equations we get:

[tex]y'+z'=\frac{x+z}{y+z}+\frac{x+y}{z+y}[/tex] or
[tex]y'+z'=\frac{x+z+x+y}{y+z}[/tex]
[tex]y'+z'=\frac{2x+y+z}{y+z}[/tex]

now we define [tex]u\rightarrow u(x)[/tex], such that [tex]u(x)=y(x)+z(x)[/tex]

this means tnat: [tex]u'(x)=y'(x)+z'(x)[/tex], or briefly [tex]u'=y'+z'[/tex]

so our equation gets reduced to:

[tex]u'=\frac{2x+u}{u}[/tex], which is a first order nonlinear equation for [tex]u(x)[/tex]

Now unfortuanltey, I have no idea how the last equation could be solved :(

Here's also my desperate attempt to solve the remaining equation:

[tex]u'=\frac{2x+u}{u}[/tex]

[tex]uu'=2x+u[/tex]
[tex]uu'-u=2x[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle{\int}uu' dx-\displaystyle{\int}u dx=\displaystyle{\int}2x dx[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle{\int}uu' dx=u^2-\displaystyle{\int}u'u dx[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle{2\int}uu' dx=u^2[/tex]

and hence

[tex]\displaystyle{\int}uu' dx=\frac{u^2}{2}[/tex]

so plugging it in the above equation

[tex]\frac{u^2}{2}-\displaystyle{\int}u dx=x^2[/tex]

[tex]U(x)=\displaystyle{\int}u dx=\frac{u^2}{2}-x^2[/tex]

which is I think an integral equation

maybe someone can solve it (if it's solvable) and then resubstitute [tex]u=y+z[/tex] to obtain the solution to the system

best regards, Marin

Last edited:

Related to Help with differential equation

Question 1: What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between an unknown function and its derivatives. It involves variables, constants, and the derivatives of the unknown function.

Question 2: Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they are used to model real-world phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They help us understand and predict the behavior of complex systems.

Question 3: How do you solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, depending on the type and complexity of the equation. Some common methods include separation of variables, substitution, and using differential equation solvers.

Question 4: What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations also have one or more ordinary derivatives, while partial differential equations have one or more partial derivatives.

Question 5: Can differential equations be solved analytically?

Not all differential equations can be solved analytically, meaning with a closed-form solution. Some equations are too complex to be solved in this way, and numerical methods must be used instead.