Help with diffy eqn terminal vel problem

• Thread starter Ara macao
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the analytical solution for the velocity of a skydiver using the equation m*dv/dt = mg - kv^2, with the assumption that v(0) = 0. The discussion also mentions using Riccati equations and the inverse of the hyperbolic tangent to solve the equation. One person suggests setting the acceleration to zero to find the terminal velocity, and mentions that the integration and transposition should be straightforward after obtaining the partial fraction decomposition.
Ara macao
Hi,

So m*dv/dt = mg - kv^2, where m is skydiver mass, g acceleration due to gravity, and k> 0 related to amount of air resistance. So I want to find the analytical solution for v(t), with the assumption that v(0) = 0.

I went all the way to integrating it with a partial fraction, but then got an answer drastically different from what the book got.

Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to answer because you didn't show us what you did or what answer you got!

Ara macao said:
Hi,
So m*dv/dt = mg - kv^2, where m is skydiver mass, g acceleration due to gravity, and k> 0 related to amount of air resistance. So I want to find the analytical solution for v(t), with the assumption that v(0) = 0.
I went all the way to integrating it with a partial fraction, but then got an answer drastically different from what the book got.
Thanks...

Tell you what Ara, how about looking up Riccati equations. Now, can your equation be put in such form? If if can, then such a prespective may allow an easier approach to its solution.

Please remember that the inverse of the hyperbolic tangent is a logarithmic expression.

If you just want the terminal velocity then set the acceleration (LHS) equal to zero and solve for v. I did a question like this about 1 or 2 years ago. If I remember correctly, the working is a little tedious but not too difficult. Obtaining the partial fraction decomposition is the difficult part, the integration and transposition should be straight forward.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena and is an important tool in many branches of science and engineering.

2. What is a terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It occurs when the upward force of air resistance is equal to the downward force of gravity.

3. How do you use differential equations to solve for terminal velocity?

To solve for terminal velocity using differential equations, you would first set up the differential equation by equating the force of gravity with the force of air resistance. Then, you would solve for the velocity as a function of time and take the limit as time approaches infinity to find the terminal velocity.

4. What factors affect terminal velocity?

The factors that affect terminal velocity include the object's mass, size, and shape, as well as the density and viscosity of the fluid it is falling through. These factors all play a role in determining the magnitude of the air resistance force.

5. How can understanding terminal velocity be useful in scientific research?

Understanding terminal velocity is useful in many areas of scientific research, such as fluid dynamics, meteorology, and aerospace engineering. It allows scientists to predict the behavior of falling objects and design more efficient structures and vehicles to withstand air resistance forces.