Help with education decisions (I'm 13)

• Thread starter Zaman01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Education
In summary, studying physics not only opens up your mind and makes you a more intelligent person, but also has promising job prospects with a low unemployment rate and high median salary.
Zaman01
As the title of the thread says, I'm 13 years old with a massive interest in physics. I'm quite good at maths (I go to a private school with a scholarship *get at me*). Things like neutrinos, particles, quarks and theories really interest me so I'd really like to study them further. I know it'll be hard but I'm sure with some determination I'd be able to pull through. My question is this. What sort of paths in life does studying physics open up? Please reply as I'd love to hear some proper advice :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Zaman01 said:
As the title of the thread says, I'm 13 years old with a massive interest in physics. I'm quite good at maths (I go to a private school with a scholarship *get at me*). Things like neutrinos, particles, quarks and theories really interest me so I'd really like to study them further. I know it'll be hard but I'm sure with some determination I'd be able to pull through. My question is this. What sort of paths in life does studying physics open up? Please reply as I'd love to hear some proper advice :)

It opens up your mind, for one. I'm aware of how incredibly cheesy that sounds, but physics is considered by many to be the most difficult major there is. If you think that the only gain from studying physics is merely just understanding formulas and a thorough grasp of the physical world, think again; studying physics will make you an all around more intelligent person, I gurantee it. In terms of employment and jobs, despite what many pessimists will tell you, physics is promising. As of right now (although I'm not sure how the job market will change in eight years), physics has the seventeenth lowest unemployment rate and the sixth highest median salary.

1. What factors should I consider when making education decisions at 13 years old?

There are several factors you should consider when making education decisions at 13 years old. These include your personal interests, strengths and weaknesses, academic goals, and future career aspirations. It is also important to consider the quality and availability of educational resources and support systems.

2. How can I determine which subjects to focus on in my education?

To determine which subjects to focus on in your education, it is important to consider your interests and strengths. You can also research different careers and industries to see which subjects are most relevant and in-demand. Additionally, seeking guidance from teachers, parents, and mentors can help you make informed decisions.

3. Should I prioritize my grades or extracurricular activities in my education?

Both grades and extracurricular activities are important in your education. While good grades demonstrate your academic abilities, extracurricular activities can help you develop important skills and qualities such as leadership, teamwork, and time management. It is important to strike a balance between the two and prioritize your time effectively.

4. How can I make the most out of my education at 13 years old?

To make the most out of your education at 13 years old, it is important to have a positive attitude and be engaged in your learning. Take advantage of opportunities to explore new subjects and participate in extracurricular activities. Additionally, setting goals and seeking feedback can help you continuously improve and succeed in your education.

5. What resources are available to help me with my education decisions at 13 years old?

There are several resources available to help you with your education decisions at 13 years old. Your school guidance counselor, teachers, and parents are great sources of advice and support. You can also research online, read books, or attend career fairs to learn more about different educational paths and opportunities. Additionally, consider seeking mentorship from professionals in your desired field of study.