Getting Back into Physics: Help for 17-Year-Olds

• Thread starter albertoVI
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a 17-year-old who finished their GCSEs over a year ago with 4 GCSEs at a C level and the rest lower. They were particularly interested in physics but did not perform well in chemistry and biology. Due to their low GCSE grades, they were unable to take science for A levels and instead completed a 5-month computer course and earned Microsoft qualifications and an NVQ level 3 in communications technologies. They have been working part-time and reading physics-related books in their spare time. They are now wondering if there is a way for them to get back into studying physics. The suggested option is to take necessary courses through a university prep program at a local community college or to carefully review
albertoVI
So..
im 17
I finished my GCSEs at school over a year ago.
I got 4 GCSEs with a C and the rest were lower.
In science (this was all three sciences in one) i only got a double C, this was because of my chemistry and biology results. i didnt particually enjoy these areas, but in physics i was completley interested and i enjoyed working in all the areas of physics.
Because of these low GCSEs i coudnt take science for A levels.
I took a 5 month computer course and gotten several Microsoft qualifications and an NVQ level 3 in comms technologies.
That finished and i have been working part time for a few months.
in my spare time i have been reading books that are physics'y. (Astro and Optics mostly)

so i there annyway i can get back into physics?

thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming you need "A level" courses to be accepted into a university program. If you're out of high school your best option is to pick up the ones that are necessary through a "university prep" program offered by a local community college.

But read the admissions policies carefully - as you may just qualify to get in with what you already have.

Hi there,

It's great to hear that you have an interest in physics and that you enjoyed it in school. It's understandable that your low GCSE grades may have prevented you from taking science for A levels, but don't let that discourage you from pursuing your passion for physics.

There are a few options you can explore to get back into physics at 17 years old. First, you can consider taking a foundation course in physics or science at a college or university. These courses are designed to help students improve their basic knowledge and skills in a subject before pursuing a higher degree.

Another option is to look into online courses or distance learning programs in physics. These can be a great way to learn at your own pace and from the comfort of your own home. You can also consider taking evening classes or workshops in physics at a local community college or university.

Additionally, you can reach out to physics professors or researchers at nearby universities and express your interest in the subject. They may be able to offer you mentorship or research opportunities that can help you gain hands-on experience and further your knowledge in physics.

Lastly, don't forget about the vast resources available online, such as educational websites, YouTube channels, and online forums, where you can learn and engage with other physics enthusiasts.

Overall, there are many ways for you to get back into physics and pursue your interests. Don't be discouraged by your previous grades, and keep exploring and learning. With dedication and hard work, you can achieve your goals in the field of physics. Best of luck!

1. What resources should I use to get back into physics at 17 years old?

There are many online resources available that can help you get back into physics, such as online courses, textbooks, and videos. You can also consider joining a study group or reaching out to a physics teacher or mentor for guidance.

2. Is it too late for me to pursue a career in physics at 17 years old?

No, it is not too late to pursue a career in physics at 17 years old. Many successful physicists started their journeys later in life. It is never too late to follow your passion and pursue a career in physics.

3. How can I catch up on the math and science concepts I may have missed?

You can catch up on math and science concepts by reviewing textbooks, attending online courses or workshops, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher. Practice problems and quizzes are also great ways to solidify your understanding of these concepts.

4. How do I find motivation to get back into physics after taking a break?

One way to find motivation is to remind yourself of your passion for physics and the reasons why you want to pursue it. Setting small, achievable goals and celebrating your progress can also help keep you motivated. Additionally, surrounding yourself with like-minded individuals and engaging in discussions and activities related to physics can reignite your interest.

5. What is the best way to balance studying physics with other responsibilities at 17 years old?

Balancing studying physics with other responsibilities at 17 years old can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize your time and create a schedule that works for you. You can also try breaking up your study sessions into smaller chunks and utilizing study techniques such as active learning and spaced repetition to make the most out of your study time.