Help with expression ##F(it)-F(-it)## in the Abel-Plana form

In summary: Good luck! In summary, the value of the expression F(it)-F(-it) found on the Abel-Plana formula can be simplified to 2i√(t^2 - A^2). This is due to the function F(z) having branch points at z = ±iA and F(it) and F(-it) being complex conjugates of each other, resulting in F(-it) = -F(it).
JasonPhysicist
I´m having a problem with the value of the expression

##F(it)-F(-it)##, found on the Abel-Plana formula, where $$F(z)=\sqrt{z^2 + A^2}$$, with ##A## being a positive real number (F(z) is analytic in the right half-plane).

Well, I know the result is ##F(it)-F(-it)=2i\sqrt{t^2 -A^2}##, for ##t>A##

Starting from the fact that the function has branch points ##z=\pm iA## I´d have to go around around these points to obtain the above result. However, to obtain it, I should have

$$F(-it)=-F(it)$$, which means ##F(it)=i\sqrt{t^2 -A^2}## and ##F(-it)=-i\sqrt{t^2 -A^2}##.

I honestly can't see why that happens and I can't formulate a proof for it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think ##F(it)-F(-it)=0##, no? This is unsurprising given that the only occurrence of z in the formula is squared, and ##z^2## is an even function. In any case:

##F(it)=\sqrt{(it)^2+A^2}=\sqrt{-t^2+A^2}##
and
##F(-it)=\sqrt{(-it)^2+A^2}=\sqrt{-t^2+A^2}##

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker

Hi there,

I understand your confusion with this expression. It may be helpful to think about the function F(z) in terms of its real and imaginary parts. We can rewrite F(z) as F(x+iy) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y), where u(x,y) = √(x^2 + y^2 + A^2) and v(x,y) = xy/√(x^2 + y^2 + A^2). Now, when we substitute z = it, we get F(it) = u(0,t) + iv(0,t) = iv(0,t) = 0 + it/√(t^2 + A^2). Similarly, when we substitute z = -it, we get F(-it) = u(0,-t) + iv(0,-t) = -iv(0,t) = 0 - it/√(t^2 + A^2). So, we can see that F(it) and F(-it) are complex conjugates of each other, which means that F(-it) = -F(it). This is why we get the result of 2i√(t^2 - A^2).

I hope this helps clear things up for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the Abel-Plana form for the expression ##F(it)-F(-it)##?

The Abel-Plana form for the expression ##F(it)-F(-it)## is given by ##2i∫_0^∞F(x) dx - F(0)##, where ##F(x)## is a function of a real variable.

2. How is the Abel-Plana form useful in mathematical analysis?

The Abel-Plana form is useful in mathematical analysis because it provides a way to express certain complex functions in a simpler and more manageable form. It is often used in the study of complex integrals and series.

3. Can the Abel-Plana form be applied to any function?

No, the Abel-Plana form can only be applied to functions that satisfy certain conditions, such as being analytic (i.e. having a derivative at every point in its domain) and being bounded on the interval of integration.

4. Are there any other equivalent forms for the expression ##F(it)-F(-it)##?

Yes, there are other equivalent forms for the expression ##F(it)-F(-it)##, such as the Sokhotski-Plemelj formula and the Hilbert transform. These forms can also be useful in certain mathematical analyses.

5. How is the Abel-Plana form related to the Cauchy principal value?

The Abel-Plana form is closely related to the Cauchy principal value, as both involve taking the limit of a function as it approaches a singularity (such as infinity). However, the Abel-Plana form is more general and can be applied to a wider range of functions and integrals.