Help with Fourier Transform integration

In summary, the Fourier transform of f(t) = 1 / (t^2 +1) gives F(w) = Integral f(t) * e^-jwt dt. However, the attempt to solve this equation using the residue theorem resulted in an indefinite integral and required the use of another function, the contour integral.
Moomax

Homework Statement

Find the Fourier transform of f(t) = 1 / (t^2 +1)

Homework Equations

F(w) = Integral f(t) * e^-jwt dt

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi guys, so I've been having problems trying to solve Fourier transforms. It seems that slapping the e^-jwt makes it hard to integrate for me. Like for instance in the above problem my first instinct was to try and do it by Integration by parts with u = 1/(t^2 +1) and v = INT(e^-jwt) however, if you do it that way, you get stuck in a never ending loop of integration by parts since the u term doesn't "die off".

In addition to the above problem, I've been having some trouble solving for Fourier transforms in general. The integration has been leaving me with scenarios like the one above and I just don't know what to do. Can someone offer me some guidance on how to tackle these sort of problems? Thanks, it's really appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks like a job for a contour integral. Have you used the residue theorem before? You need it for a lot of Fourier problems. Might be a good time to review.

hhmmm so I did some reading on the residue theorem but am not really sure how to apply it if for instance the integral was t^2+4 instead of t^2+1 on the bottom.

So in other words, another integral of interest would be: INT(-inf to inf) of exp(-jwt)/(t^2+4) dt.

I'm guessing to solve this new integral i'd have to use residue as well but I'm not really sure how to apply it here. On the residue theorem page on wikipedia, they give an example solving the original integral I asked, but I can't figure it out what to do if the bottom number was changed from 1 to 4 mainly because I can't figure out what the res() function is really doing.

If you change 1 to 4 then all that changes is the factorization becomes (t^2+4)=(t+2i)(t-2i) so the poles move to +2i and -2i. Nothing else changes. Using the residue theorem is not that easy if you are new to it. All I can suggest is searching for more stuff on the web, or consulting a mathematical methods type book in the library for a more leisurely introduction. Try working out a few problems in some detail. Post again here with the details of your attempt if you have problems.

1. What is a Fourier Transform integration?

A Fourier Transform integration is a mathematical technique used to decompose a function or signal into its constituent frequencies. It converts a time-domain signal into its equivalent frequency-domain representation, allowing for analysis and manipulation of the signal's frequency components.

2. Why is Fourier Transform integration important?

Fourier Transform integration is important because it allows us to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain, where many types of signal processing operations are easier to perform. This makes it a valuable tool in fields such as engineering, physics, and data analysis.

3. How is Fourier Transform integration performed?

Fourier Transform integration involves taking a mathematical transform of a signal or function. This can be done using various mathematical techniques, such as integration by parts or the use of complex numbers. In practice, computer algorithms are often used to perform the calculations.

4. What are some applications of Fourier Transform integration?

Fourier Transform integration has many diverse applications, including image and sound processing, data compression, and filtering. It is also used in fields such as astronomy, medical imaging, and speech recognition.

5. Are there any limitations to Fourier Transform integration?

While Fourier Transform integration is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. For example, the signal must be finite and have a continuous frequency spectrum for the transform to be accurate. Additionally, the transform does not work well for non-stationary signals, such as those with rapidly changing frequencies.