1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with inverse trig functions

1. Sep 5, 2012 #1
    Here is my problem:

cot(arcsin(x))

my awnser:

cot= x/(1-x)^1/2

The online program were suppose to use says im wrong but im not sure what I did wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What's the question that you're trying to answer?

The answer you give makes no sense whatsoever.

4. Sep 5, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Draw a right triangle, with θ being the acute angle in the triangle. Let θ = arcsin(x), and label the sides and hypotenuse according to this definition.

The problem boils down to evaluating cot(θ).

Your answer SHOULD NOT start with "cot =" since cot by itself is meaningless in this context. If you are doing your work on paper, your work should start with cot(arcsin(x)) = ... and end up with what you found, which is actually not too far off.

5. Sep 6, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The simplest way to do this is to imagine a right triangle with one angle [itex]\theta[/itex], "opposite side" to [itex]\theta[/itex] of length x, and hypotenuse of length 1 so that [itex]sin(\theta)= x/1[/itex] and thus [itex]\arcsin(x)= \theta[/itex].

Now, what is the length of the near side and what is [itex]tan(\theta)= tan(arcsin(x))[/itex]?

You are missing a square in your answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook