Help with a large induction coil secondary

In summary, there is confusion about the dimensions for building an induction coil in the traditional manner according to the book by A.T. Hare. The book suggests 96 pies of 3/16" each or 18" long for the core, with around 13" between the ends of the coils. The book also mentions thicker "pies" at the center and thinner at the ends for better magnetic force. However, the dimensions given in the Appendix do not match those in the text and drawing. The main question is the importance of the thickness of the "pies" in terms of performance. Assistance is needed.
Lynton
I am about to build an induction coil in the traditional manner, after "A. T. Hare".
The dimensions intimated in the book are confusing and imply there are 96 pies 3/16" each or
18" long - this is the length of the core, and the book indicates around 13" between ends of coils.
The book also indicates thicker pies at the centre and thinner at ends,( following lines of magnetic force).
However the dimensions given in the Appendix are considerably removed from that indicated in the text and the drawing given.
My main question is "how important is the thicker/thinner pies to performance ?"
Can anyone assist please

Lynton

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry, what does the term "pies" mean in this context? Is it turns/cm? Or some other measure?

Can you post a diagram or links to what you have been reading? Thanks.

FAQ: Help with a large induction coil secondary

1. What is a large induction coil secondary?

A large induction coil secondary is a component of an induction coil that is responsible for receiving and amplifying the electromagnetic energy produced by the primary coil. It is typically made of many turns of thin wire wound around an iron or ferrite core.

2. What is the purpose of a large induction coil secondary?

The purpose of a large induction coil secondary is to transform the high voltage, low current energy produced by the primary coil into a lower voltage, higher current output. This is useful for applications such as power transmission, electrical transformers, and scientific experiments.

3. How do I know if I need a large induction coil secondary?

If you require a high voltage, low current output for your application, then you will likely need a large induction coil secondary. It is also necessary if you are working with electromagnetic induction experiments or high voltage electrical systems.

4. What materials are used to make a large induction coil secondary?

The most common materials used for a large induction coil secondary are copper wire and iron or ferrite cores. Copper is a good conductor of electricity and can handle high currents, while iron and ferrite cores help to amplify and focus the electromagnetic energy.

5. Can I make my own large induction coil secondary?

Yes, it is possible to make your own large induction coil secondary, but it requires knowledge of electrical circuits and access to specialized materials and tools. It is recommended to seek help from a professional or experienced individual before attempting to make one on your own.