Help with Magnetic Dipole Moment

In summary, the speakers discussed the use of Comsol for calculating the resultant magnetic moment of a permanent magnet inside a steel housing. While using numerical modeling is necessary for solving this problem due to the difficulty of solving analytically, the speaker with mechanical engineering background was unsure of how to work with the formulas in Comsol. They also discussed the unexpected increase in magnetic moment when adding the steel housing, and the importance of proper modeling and assumptions in simulation codes. The conversation concluded with the suggestion to seek help from an experienced individual for reviewing the model and addressing any potential errors.
Nash Engineer
Im looking to find the resultant magnetic moment of a permanent magnet inside of a steel housing. Some of the remnant flux density is absorbed by the magnet and the field is altered. I want to figure out the total magnetic dipole including the presence of the steel housing. I've been using Comsol but I am new to that program and I am unsure of how to work the formulas

Engineering news on Phys.org
Magnetic fields in the presence of iron are not readily soluble analytically, so numerical modeling is the right way to go. I don't understand what you mean by "how to work the formulas." Have you taken an advanced undergrad E&M class? You'll see how magnetization, magnetic induction and magnetic fields are related, and how a ferromagnetic material doesn't "absorb" flux but rather reroutes it (the relevant properties are permeability and reluctance). I'm not familiar with Comsol but would be surprised if it requires formulas--don't you mesh up your geometry and solve it with finite elements or some similar technique?

Well, I'm a mechanical engineer but this is part of a project I have to do. Yes I am just meshing it in comsol. I am then using the the software to calculate magnetization of the entire volume. What I am confused about is that when I have the permanent magnet alone I get the correct Magnetic moment, however when I add the steel housing around the Magnet I get higher Magnetic Moment which doesn't make sense. If I want to find the magnetic moment to simplify this assembly into its equivalent singular magnet to use in another more complex model I think I should expect the Magnetic moment to drop a little with the addition of the steel housing.

Can I expect the magnetic moment that's routed through the steel to take away from the effective magnetic moment in this case?

Agreed, moment shouldn't look bigger. Without knowing details of your problem, geometry, etc., it's impossible to know where you went wrong. Simulation codes can be tricky, especially regarding meshing and boundary conditions. The best approach would be to sit down with someone experienced in COMSOL who can review your model and assumptions. A couple of other questions they can address: How do you know that the dipole moment of the permanent magnet is "correct"? Why do you assume that your larger system will be accurately modeled if you replace a complex geometry by a simple dipole?

Sorry, this is not the sort of problem that I could diagnose over internet even if I were familiar with COMSOL.

What is a magnetic dipole moment?

A magnetic dipole moment is a measure of the strength and orientation of a magnetic dipole, which is a pair of poles (north and south) separated by a certain distance. It is a fundamental property of a magnetic material and is often represented by the symbol μ (mu).

How is magnetic dipole moment calculated?

The magnetic dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic poles (magnetic moment) by the distance between them. This can also be represented by the equation μ = m x d, where m is the magnetic moment and d is the distance between the poles.

What factors affect the magnetic dipole moment?

The magnetic dipole moment is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the magnetic material, and the orientation of the poles. It is also dependent on the material's magnetic permeability, which is a measure of how easily it can be magnetized.

How is magnetic dipole moment important in science?

Magnetic dipole moment plays a crucial role in many areas of science, including electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and astronomy. It is used in the study of magnetic materials, the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields, and the structure of atoms and molecules.

Can the magnetic dipole moment be altered?

Yes, the magnetic dipole moment can be altered by changing the strength of the magnetic field, the orientation of the poles, or the material's magnetic properties. This can be achieved through various methods such as applying an external magnetic field or heating the material above its Curie temperature.