Help with math minor (Transfer student)

In summary: Where I went to school, it wasn't a prerequisite and the professor had the TA's teach the necessary materials in recitation to prep for that part of the chapter in Boyce and DiPrima.Thank you! Taking ODE next semester then?If you can't take linear algebra in the fall, then you can take it in the summer. It's not necessary, but it will be helpful.
Geo_Zegarra2018
I need help since I recently changed my Fall schedule. I recently going to take Linear Algebra, but I will be taking a Meteorology class instead. This class will help me prepare for 300 and 400 level courses I'm planning to take as an extra elective. Had to pick a class to replace with the meteoorlogy class.

Next semester What math class should I take? I'm getting a math minor and won't graduate till 2021. Should I take Linear Algebra first, then ODE and finally PDE? My friend said I should continue on a sequence so instead of linear algebra first. I should take ODE, PDE, and Linear algebra. The only problem I have if I follow my path is that PDE is only offered in Fall.

1. A MAT 220 Linear Algebra (3) Spring 2019 Spring 2020

Linear equations, matrices, determinants, finite dimensional vector spaces, linear transformations Euclidean spaces.

2. A MAT 311 Ordinary Differential Equations (3) Fall 2019 Spring 2019

Linear differential equations, systems of differential equations, series solutions, boundary value problems, existence theorems, applications to the sciences.

3. A MAT 416 Partial Differential Equations (3) Fall 2020 Fall 2019

The partial differential equations of classical mathematical physics. Separation of variables, eigenvalue problems, Fourier series and other orthogonal expansions. First order equations, Green’s functions, Sturm-Liouville theory, and other topics as time permitsMy major is Chemistry and I've already completed the calculus sequence.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ideally, you should take linear algebra as soon as possible, but if can't, then as long as you take ODE before PDE, it doesn't matter if linear algebra is in between. It will be a good idea to present yourself to the math department, tell them you are a math minor and ask to be assigned to an advisor who will give you advice specific to your institution. Sometimes, what's in the catalogue is not what's actually offered and an advisor in the math department will know that.

Likes Geo_Zegarra2018
kuruman said:
Ideally, you should take linear algebra as soon as possible, but if can't, then as long as you take ODE before PDE, it doesn't matter if linear algebra is in between. It will be a good idea to present yourself to the math department, tell them you are a math minor and ask to be assigned to an advisor who will give you advice specific to your institution. Sometimes, what's in the catalogue is not what's actually offered and an advisor in the math department will know that.

Thank you! I heard linear algebra is very helpful when it comes to ODE and PDE. Can you correct me on that?

Geo_Zegarra2018 said:
Thank you! I heard linear algebra is very helpful when it comes to ODE and PDE. Can you correct me on that?

Only in some cases did linear algebra help with ODE (coupled linear equations) so the order of taking linear algebra and ODE's isn't critical.

Dr Transport said:
Only in some cases did linear algebra help with ODE (coupled linear equations) so the order of taking linear algebra and ODE's isn't critical.

Perfect! Thank you. Do you think taking linear algebra in summer 2019 will be a good idea?

Geo_Zegarra2018 said:
Perfect! Thank you. Do you think taking linear algebra in summer 2019 will be a good idea?
Summer courses are usually accelerated to cram a semester's worth of material in a few weeks. Unless you have reasons to hurry, I suggest that you avoid summer courses, at least on technical subjects.

Likes symbolipoint
Geo_Zegarra2018 said:
I heard linear algebra is very helpful when it comes to ODE and PDE.
I agree with @Dr Transport that taking linear algebra first isn't critical, but IMO it's very helpful to do so. When you get to 2nd order diff. equations in the ODE class, having an understanding of linear algebra concepts of a basis of a function space, spanning sets, and linear independence can be important.

Mark44 said:
I agree with @Dr Transport that taking linear algebra first isn't critical, but IMO it's very helpful to do so.

How much so, probably depends on how the course is taught. If the course assumes the students know linear algebra, the college/university catalog and website should list LA as a prerequisite.

jtbell said:
How much so, probably depends on how the course is taught. If the course assumes the students know linear algebra, the college/university catalog and website should list LA as a prerequisite.

Where I went to school, it wasn't a prerequisite and the professor had the TA's teach the necessary materials in recitation to prep for that part of the chapter in Boyce and DiPrima.

Thank you! Taking ODE next semester

1. What are the requirements for a math minor as a transfer student?

The specific requirements for a math minor as a transfer student may vary depending on the university or college you are transferring to. However, in general, you will likely need to have completed a certain number of credit hours in math courses, including specific courses such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It is best to check with your academic advisor for the exact requirements at your chosen institution.

2. Can I transfer math courses from my previous institution to count towards my math minor?

In most cases, yes. However, the transferability of math courses will also depend on the specific requirements of the institution you are transferring to. It is important to have your transcript evaluated by the new institution's math department to determine which courses will count towards your minor.

3. How many math courses do I need to take for a math minor as a transfer student?

This will also vary depending on the institution, but typically a math minor requires around 18-24 credit hours. Again, it is best to check with your academic advisor for the specific requirements at your chosen institution.

4. Can I double minor in math and another subject as a transfer student?

It is possible to double minor in math and another subject, but it will depend on the requirements and policies of the institution you are transferring to. Some institutions may allow for double minors, while others may not. It is best to consult with your academic advisor to determine if this is a possibility for you.

5. What are the benefits of having a math minor as a transfer student?

A math minor can be beneficial for a variety of reasons. It can provide a strong foundation in mathematical skills and critical thinking, which can be valuable in many fields. It can also make you a more well-rounded and competitive candidate for graduate school or job opportunities. Additionally, having a minor in math can open up career options in fields such as data analysis, finance, and computer science.