Help with Matrix & Operator specifics

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the speaker is struggling with understanding matrices and operators in their studies. They have created a visual aid in the form of a table to help them but are seeking additional support and guidance from a mentor. They are open to working with someone offline to go through their table and confirm their understanding. The speaker also suggests seeking additional resources to supplement their learning.
ognik
Hi, those who have seen my recent posts will know that I am trying to put together a simple table that I am certain will help me get through a cloud of uncertainty that is proving a major obstacle to my on-going studies. I refer to http://mathhelpboards.com/linear-abstract-algebra-14/matrices-what-applies-what-16451.html and http://mathhelpboards.com/linear-abstract-algebra-14/matrix-amp-operator-summary-16403.html
This might be an unusual request and I hope I don't offend accidentally - but this is a disproportionate obstacle for me, and unfortunately my Prof. has declined to help.

By loose analogy, we first learn a very simplified form of mechanics - 1D Newtons laws without even vectors. That gets built on and we add vectors, rotation etc. Later we learn that the laws are a special case of the relativity version. Later on we learn that some of them don't apply in the quantum world...

Knowing how I learn best in different situations, I am trying to do something similar in a compressed timeframe. I (I don't believe it's unusual) make pages and pages of bullet points, keywords and formula as I work - I am a very visual learner. I keep coming back to them and improving them as I learn new stuff or discover inadequacies; eventually I will also have a good revision source.

So this unpopular table of mine is not an attempt to create a complete summary of Matrix and other operators, at a point in the material that am confident I can go forward from; the uncertainty around what I think I know is also clouding new material. So I just want to be sure I have everything in the right place, even if the table is otherwise unsatisfying to those with more understanding than mine. I take full responsibility for all consequences.

The idea I had last night was - would anyone be prepared to work with me 'offline' - in a private conversation, or over skype (I would not abuse such a privilege). The I can go through why I have what I have, one point at a time - and keeping it simple - my mentor can confirm what is correct and point out what is inadequate or wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your struggle with understanding matrices and operators. It can be frustrating when we encounter obstacles in our studies, especially when we feel like we are not receiving the support we need from our professors. I commend you for taking the initiative to create a visual aid in the form of a table to help you better understand these concepts.

I would be happy to work with you offline and discuss your table in more detail. I understand the importance of having a mentor to guide and confirm your understanding. However, I do want to caution you that I am not an expert in linear abstract algebra, so I may not be able to provide all the answers you are seeking. Nonetheless, I am more than willing to help in any way I can.

In the meantime, I would suggest seeking out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or study groups to supplement your learning. Sometimes, hearing different explanations or seeing different examples can help solidify our understanding.

I wish you all the best in your studies and I am here to support you in any way I can.

Related to Help with Matrix & Operator specifics

1. What is a matrix and how is it used in science?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols that is used to represent data in a concise and organized manner. In science, matrices are often used to represent sets of equations or to perform operations on large sets of data.

2. What are some common operations that can be performed on matrices?

Some common operations that can be performed on matrices include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and inversion. These operations are useful for manipulating data and solving complex equations in science.

3. What is the difference between a matrix and an operator?

A matrix is a static representation of data, while an operator is a function that operates on a matrix to produce a new matrix. In other words, an operator is a mathematical tool used to transform matrices and perform operations on them.

4. How do matrices and operators relate to linear algebra?

Matrices and operators are fundamental concepts in linear algebra, which is the branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations. Matrices and operators are used extensively in linear algebra to solve equations and study geometric transformations.

5. Can matrices and operators be used in other fields besides science?

Yes, matrices and operators have applications in many other fields besides science. They are commonly used in computer graphics, economics, engineering, and even in everyday life for tasks such as image processing and data analysis.