Help with mini fluorescent lights

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lights
In summary, the speaker is trying to build a small lighting system and has bought some fluorescent tubes from a local electronics surplus store. However, there is no information available about them and the speaker is seeking help with identifying the tubes, determining the necessary voltage and amperage, and figuring out how to connect the wires and what ballast may be needed. The speaker mentions having seen similar small bulbs before with 2-pins-per-end contacts, but is unsure if these wires are equivalent. They are willing to experiment with the tubes, but are hesitant to do so without solid data. The speaker also mentions the possibility of the tubes being cold cathode fluorescent lamps (CCFL) commonly used in laptops.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm trying to build a lighting system that's very small and have been experimenting with designs.

I bought these things at the local Electronics Surplus, and I think, if I can get them to work, they'll do exactly what I need. Unfortunately, they couldn't provide any information about them at the store.

So.

Does anyone
1] recognize these little fluorescent tubes?
2] know what DC voltage/amperage would probably light them?
3] know how to hook the 4 wires up?
4] know what ballast might be needed?

(see attached)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
No help from me, I'm afraid. I've seen very small bulbs before, but they always had the traditional 2-pins-per-end contacts. While I assume that those wires are the equivalent, I wouldn't try hooking them up that way without solid data.

Do the two wires on one end show a low resistance between them?

Does the other end also show low resistance?
Or does it show open?

Danger said:
No help from me, I'm afraid. I've seen very small bulbs before, but they always had the traditional 2-pins-per-end contacts. While I assume that those wires are the equivalent, I wouldn't try hooking them up that way without solid data.
Well, they only cost $1.50 so I'm good to 'speriment with them. That's why I got them. But if I try it without ANY prior edumacated knowledge, I'll just blow em up.

NoTime said:
Do the two wires on one end show a low resistance between them?

Does the other end also show low resistance?
Or does it show open?
I um, guess I could find out. This meter I've got might tell me something.

Might be cold cathode fluorescent lamps (CCFL) often used in laptops.

What are mini fluorescent lights?

Mini fluorescent lights are small, energy-efficient light bulbs that use a tube filled with gas and a small amount of mercury vapor to produce light. They are commonly used in homes, offices, and other indoor spaces as a replacement for traditional incandescent bulbs.

How do I install mini fluorescent lights?

Installing mini fluorescent lights is similar to installing traditional incandescent bulbs. Make sure the power is turned off, then twist the bulb into the socket. If the bulb has pins, make sure they are properly aligned and push the bulb into the socket until it clicks into place.

Do mini fluorescent lights contain mercury?

Yes, mini fluorescent lights do contain a small amount of mercury. However, the amount is very low and poses no significant health risk. It is important to properly dispose of these bulbs to prevent any potential harm to the environment.

How long do mini fluorescent lights last?

On average, mini fluorescent lights can last up to 10,000 hours. This is significantly longer than traditional incandescent bulbs, which typically last around 1,000 hours. However, the lifespan may vary depending on usage and the quality of the bulb.

Can I use mini fluorescent lights with a dimmer switch?

No, most mini fluorescent lights are not compatible with dimmer switches. The technology used in these bulbs requires a steady flow of electricity, whereas dimmer switches regulate the voltage. Using a dimmer switch with mini fluorescent lights can cause the bulbs to flicker or not work at all.