Help with Motor startup dynamics model

In summary, the conversation is about building electronics to control a brushless motor (BLDC) and the need for a physical/mathematical model for motor startup. The individual has some work on the subject but is having trouble simplifying the equations. They are looking for assistance in obtaining time values for x=1,2,3,4... and discussing an algorithm that uses a table of time deltas for motor control. They also mention some tweaking done for smooth transitioning from blind to feedback loop control. One individual is not familiar with motor control but was involved in the coding effort.
RSilva
Hi,

I am building some electronics to control a brushless motor (BLDC). I am studying the motor startup and I need the physical/mathematical model. My page at http://bldc.wikidot.com/p-esc-startup has some work on this subject but I think that something is wrong when I try to simplify the equations of x(t).

Who can help? I need to obtain the time values for x=1,2,3,4,... but I am still looking for a good x(t) equation. Some calculus can be done with a 8 bit microcontroller so I can't use some functions...

Physics news on Phys.org
The way I've seen this done is via a table of time deltas. The first one or two iterations may be backwards so the table takes this into account. After the frist two entries, the time deltas decrease as the array is incrementelly accessed, with the assumption that angular acceleration is constant (however in the real world, it turns out that this table has to be tuned a bit by trial and error). In our case, Bemf should have been present after 7 or 8 "blind" steps, and the switch was made.

The iniitial algorithm started with a minimum voltage, then if the blind stepping failed to produce Bemf, the voltage was increased in small steps, and the blind step algorithm repeated. After a success full startup, the working voltage was reduced a bit to be used as the initial voltage for the next startup. There was some tweaking done of table values and voltage change during so the transition from blind to feedback loop was smooth, and by slowy adjusting the step timing versus the first sensing of Bemf.

Thank you. And about the physical/mathematical model? What is wrong?

RSilva said:
Thank you. And about the physical/mathematical model? What is wrong?
I don't know that much about motor control, I was mostly observing and helping with the coding effort on how to use the table by another person who was good with motor control, but hadn't done much programming. It was years ago and I was just responding with the issues we encountered.

1. What is a motor startup dynamics model?

A motor startup dynamics model is a mathematical representation of the physical behavior of a motor during the startup process. It takes into account various factors such as the motor's torque, inertia, and load to predict how the motor will behave during startup.

2. Why is a motor startup dynamics model important?

A motor startup dynamics model is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of a motor during startup, which is a critical phase for many industrial and commercial applications. It can help us optimize motor performance, prevent damage, and improve efficiency.

3. How is a motor startup dynamics model created?

A motor startup dynamics model is typically created by using mathematical equations based on physical laws and principles. The model may also incorporate data from experiments or simulations to improve its accuracy. It is important to consider all relevant factors and parameters when creating a motor startup dynamics model.

4. What are some common challenges when creating a motor startup dynamics model?

One common challenge is accurately accounting for all the variables and parameters that can affect motor startup dynamics, such as load variations, friction, and temperature. Another challenge is validating the model's predictions with experimental data. Additionally, different motor types and applications may require different modeling approaches and techniques.

5. How can a motor startup dynamics model be used in practical applications?

A motor startup dynamics model can be used to optimize motor performance, determine the appropriate motor size and type for a specific application, and troubleshoot issues during startup. It can also aid in the design and development of new motors and improve overall system efficiency.