Help with old stone mortar and pestle

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary: The pestles were used to crush seeds and to batter the fat from meat. Mortars were used to mix the ingredients for food or to prepare a mortar for grinding rocks.In summary, the mortar and pestle are likely between 10,000 and 6,000 BC, and were used for different purposes such as crushing seeds and pounding meat.
turbo
Gold Member
My wife's friend has an old porous volcanic rock mortar with what appears to be a basalt pestle. They were recovered from a cave in California in the 1920s by a relative who was prospecting for gold. According to the family history, he managed to spirit these objects out, but authorities confiscated the other objects that were in the cave.

The mortar is 10-1/2" high by 7" diameter. The pestle is 9-1/2" in length.

MP.jpg

According to her father (now deceased), the items were on loan to the Smithsonian for 4-5 years, which sounds a bit odd, but she insists that it corresponds to a time when the objects were no longer around the house. Who knows?

Anyway, I have found a pointed-base mortar that is made of similar material. It's 2/3 of the way down the page.

http://www.westernartifacts.com/tools.htm

Anyway, does anybody here have an idea how old these items are?

Physics news on Phys.org
A bit similar, but half the size.

http://americanindiancollectibles.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/american_indian_collectible_-58201705624269070.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife's friend asked her father how old it was when he gave it to her and he said "could be 500 years, could be 5000 years" so apparently if he did loan it to a museum of anthropology, the curators were not much help in dating it.

Interesting turbo - keep us posted.

The shape of the pestle is a modern design, older pestles didn't have the tapering we see here. But the mortar could be old, the uneveness around the top has been described in very old mortars.

turbo-1 said:
My wife's friend has an old porous volcanic rock mortar with what appears to be a basalt pestle. They were recovered from a cave in California in the 1920s by a relative who was prospecting for gold. According to the family history, he managed to spirit these objects out, but authorities confiscated the other objects that were in the cave.

The mortar is 10-1/2" high by 7" diameter. The pestle is 9-1/2" in length.

MP.jpg

According to her father (now deceased), the items were on loan to the Smithsonian for 4-5 years, which sounds a bit odd, but she insists that it corresponds to a time when the objects were no longer around the house. Who knows?

Anyway, I have found a pointed-base mortar that is made of similar material. It's 2/3 of the way down the page.

http://www.westernartifacts.com/tools.htm

Anyway, does anybody here have an idea how old these items are?

Hello Turbo...

I've excavated items like these in settlements that go back as far as 6000 years along the Fraser River here in British Columbia. There has never been a mortar that high in my recollection. Its a beautiful sample. Also, the dates in your area may be different since you are in a rich region that can date as far back as 17,000 or more years because of the Clovis period and artifacts that match the European flint knapping.

Beautiful stuff!

Here's some text on the NW Firstnation tool building activity. Its got an American slant to it but has some mention of the British Columbian stone artifacts.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/278079

All mention of mortar and pestles from excavations throughout the world put them at between 10,000 and 6,000 BC

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I clean an old stone mortar and pestle?

Cleaning an old stone mortar and pestle is best done by hand with warm water and mild soap. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasives, as they can damage the stone. After cleaning, thoroughly dry the mortar and pestle before storing.

2. Is it safe to use an old stone mortar and pestle for food preparation?

As long as the mortar and pestle are in good condition and have been properly cleaned, it is safe to use them for food preparation. However, it is important to note that porous stones, such as marble or granite, can absorb flavors and scents, so it is best to have a separate mortar and pestle for different types of food.

3. How do I remove stains from an old stone mortar and pestle?

Stains on a stone mortar and pestle can be removed by creating a paste with baking soda and water and using a scrub brush or toothbrush to gently scrub the stained areas. Rinse well and dry thoroughly before use.

4. Can I use my old stone mortar and pestle for grinding spices?

Yes, an old stone mortar and pestle are excellent for grinding spices. However, it is best to have a separate mortar and pestle for spices to avoid any cross-contamination of flavors.

5. How do I store an old stone mortar and pestle?

An old stone mortar and pestle should be stored in a cool, dry place. Avoid storing it in areas with high humidity, as this can cause the stone to deteriorate. It is also best to store the mortar and pestle separately to prevent any damage.