Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with photoelectric effect

1. Apr 21, 2003 #1
    how can i use photoelectric effect to do a in class presentation. hoe can i exploit this phenomenan to make something meaningful from physics point of view. please give appropriate suggestions.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2003 #2
    Is the photoelectric effect the same as a photoconductive effect? If so, I have an idea.

4. Apr 22, 2003 #3
    You could try to make a very simple solar cell. Find a metal with a very low work functin, shape it into a parabola, shine a light onto it, and put something to pick up the ejected electrons at the focus and use it to make a christmas light shine or something. Of course this makes an assumption I'm not sure I'm totally justified in making. I know that if you were to shine light in a parabola it would reflect and go to the focus, however I don't know that I can assume the ejected electrons would travel with the same trajectory? Also I don't know what you could use to collect the emitted electrons and put them through a wire. Perhpas someone smarter could help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?