How Do You Calculate Net Force in Coulomb's Law?

• Thread starter joe98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses help with Coulomb's Law and finding the net force exerted by two point charges on a third charge placed between them. The formula for Coulomb's Law is mentioned and the attempt at a solution involves calculating the forces between the charges and adding them together. The error in the calculation is identified and corrected.
joe98
Help with coulumbs Law!

Homework Statement

Consider two point charges located on the x axis: one charge, = -10.0 C, is located at = -1.700m ; the second charge, = 30.5C , is at the origin .

What is the net force exerted by these two charges on a third charge = 52.5C placed between and at = -1.055m ?

Your answer may be positive or negative, depending on the direction of the force.

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law

The Attempt at a Solution

first i found,
F(1on3)=k*10*10^-9*30.5*10^-9/.645^2 then,
F(2on3)=k*52.5*10^-9*-10*10^-9/1.055^2

then i added them , but i am gettin the wrong answer d answer shud be -2.43*10^-5 N

can u tell me what's wrong with my working :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the charge is in nC

Look at the charges you're using on F(2on3)

oh i see thnks :)

Last edited:

I would suggest checking your calculations and units carefully. It is important to use the correct units for charge (Coulombs) and distance (meters) in the equation for Coulomb's law. Also, make sure to include the direction of the forces when adding them together. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram and label the forces to ensure they are added correctly. If you are still getting the wrong answer, try checking your equation and make sure you are using the correct values for the charges and distances.

1. What is the best way to approach a difficult physics question?

The best way to approach a difficult physics question is to first carefully read and understand the question. Then, break it down into smaller parts and identify the key concepts involved. Next, review any relevant equations or principles and try to apply them to the problem. If you are still struggling, consider seeking help from a peer or instructor.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, it is important to practice regularly and consistently. Make sure to fully understand the underlying concepts and principles before attempting to solve problems. Additionally, try to work through problems step-by-step and identify any mistakes or areas where you may need more clarification.

3. What should I do if I am stuck on a physics question?

If you are stuck on a physics question, take a step back and try to approach it from a different angle. Sometimes, a change in perspective can help you see the problem in a new light. You can also try discussing the problem with a classmate or seeking help from a teacher or tutor.

4. Is it important to show all of my work when solving a physics question?

Yes, it is important to show all of your work when solving a physics question. This not only helps you keep track of your thought process, but it also allows others to understand your reasoning and identify any mistakes you may have made. Additionally, showing your work is often required for full credit on exams and assignments.

5. How can I use real-life examples to better understand physics concepts?

One way to use real-life examples to better understand physics concepts is to actively look for connections between the concepts you are learning and everyday phenomena. You can also try conducting experiments or simulations to see how these concepts play out in the real world. Additionally, discussing these concepts with others and engaging in hands-on activities can also enhance your understanding of physics.