Help with proving a transfer function?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with getting the Z2Z3 to appear in the bottom, and the solution is to use voltage division by finding the equivalent impedance across Vo and dividing it by the total impedance seen by the source, Vg. The equation for voltage division is Vn = Vtotal(Rn/Rtotal), where V is voltage and R is resistance, and in this case, Z's are used for impedances. The explanation also clarifies that Zi = Zo + Z1, which is derived from the voltage division equation.
Chandasouk
http://img195.imageshack.us/i/89020004.jpg/

I cannot get the Z2Z3 to appear in the bottom.

I'm saying Zout = Z2 || Z3 so that gives Z2Z3/Z2+Z3 and Zg = Z1

Then H(s) = Zout/Zg = Z2Z3/Z1Z2+Z1Z3

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can attack this problem using voltage division. You can get the equivalent impedence across Vo and then divide it by the total impedence seen by the source, Vg.

So:

The voltage seen by Vo:
Zo = (Z3)(Z2)/(Z3+Z2)

The voltage seen by Vg:
Zi = Zo + Z1

So when you divide Zo/Zi and simplify you get the correct answer. Hope that helps! Let me know if you need further explanation.

Can you explain why Zi = Zo + Z1? I always thought voltage division was

Vn = Vtotal(Rn/Rtotal)

Where V is voltage and R is resistance. In our case, we would just replace the R's with Z's for impedances but I'm still not sure how you got Zi = Zo + Z1 from that

What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes how the system responds to different inputs, and is typically used in control systems and signal processing.

How do I prove a transfer function?

To prove a transfer function, you need to show that the output of the system can be obtained by applying the transfer function to the input. This can be done by using mathematical techniques such as Laplace transforms or by performing experiments and comparing the results with the predicted output.

What is the importance of proving a transfer function?

Proving a transfer function is important because it allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of a system. It also enables us to design and optimize control systems and make predictions about how the system will respond to different inputs.

What are the common challenges in proving a transfer function?

One common challenge in proving a transfer function is obtaining accurate and reliable data for the input and output of the system. Another challenge is dealing with non-linear systems, which can make it difficult to find a transfer function that accurately represents the system's behavior.

Are there any tools or software that can help with proving a transfer function?

Yes, there are various tools and software available that can assist with proving a transfer function. These include mathematical software such as MATLAB or Mathematica, as well as simulation software like Simulink. These tools can help with data analysis, modeling, and simulating the behavior of a system to validate the transfer function.