Help with rearranging an equation

• Thread starter snakey
  • Start date
In summary, the person is struggling with rearranging the equation g = w/ft to make w the subject. They are specifically looking for the algebraic steps to go from E = W/(F*T) to W = E*F*T. They mention that there is a square root involved but they believe they can figure it out once they understand the steps to rearrange the equation. They are not looking for the solution, just the process.
snakey
hi there,
i have been given an equation to rearrange
g = w/ft (making w the subject)

for some reason i can't seem to get it into my head how to answer this, if it was just g=w/f i would have been fine but i am totally thrown out by fxt.

if anyone has any hints or tips i would greatly appreciate it, I'm not look for the solution just the know how so i can solve the question

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I'm not sure I follow what you're asking.

What is g = w/ft ?

What specifically are you trying to accompllish?

all i am trying to do is to make W the subject of the equation. the letters are not significant i just need some help on the steps to rearrange this equation. E = W over F times T

Do you mean just the algebraic step to go from

E = W/(F*T)

to

W = E*F*T ?

i do indeed. for some reason it has me flumoxed. in the original question there is actually a square root but i think once i have the jist i can suss that part out

FAQ: Help with rearranging an equation

1. How do I rearrange an equation?

Rearranging an equation involves isolating the variable you want to solve for on one side of the equation. This can be done by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. What is the purpose of rearranging an equation?

Rearranging an equation allows us to solve for a specific variable and find its numerical value. It also helps us understand the relationship between different variables in the equation.

3. Can I rearrange any equation?

Yes, you can rearrange any equation as long as it follows the rules of algebra. This means that the same operation must be performed on both sides of the equation to maintain balance.

4. How can I check if my rearranged equation is correct?

You can check your rearranged equation by substituting the values of the variables into the original equation and making sure that the result is the same on both sides of the equation.

5. Are there any tips for rearranging equations?

Some tips for rearranging equations include starting with the variable you want to solve for, moving constants to the other side of the equation, and simplifying fractions or radicals before performing algebraic operations.