Help with simplifying integral

In summary, the conversation was about solving a double integral and the equations involved. The solution attempted involved simplifying the integral, but there were some errors in the calculations. The person was stuck and having difficulty simplifying the integral.
xnitexlitex

Homework Statement

We need to solve the double integral:

6 -2/3x+4
∫ ∫ [12-2x-(3y/4)] dy dx
0 0

Homework Equations

(a+b)2 = a2 + 2ab + b2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got to:

(1/4) ∫ [12y-2xy-(3y2/2)] evaluated at -2/3x + 4 and 0.
(1/4) ∫ [12(-2/3x + 4) - 2x(-2/3x + 4) - (3(-2/3x + 4)2/2)]

This is where I'm stuck. I could solve the rest of the integral if I could simplify this right. Sometimes, I think simplifying the integral is harder than the integration itself.

Physics news on Phys.org
(1/4) ∫ [12y-2xy-(3y2/2)] evaluated at -2/3x + 4 and 0.

This isn't right.Where did the 1/4 come from? And it's not (3y2/2), it's 3y2/8.
Which, (1/4)(3/2)=(3/8), but then the other terms are wrong, because (1/4)12= 3, and it's not 3y.

1. How do you simplify an integral?

To simplify an integral, you can use various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. You can also use the properties of integrals, such as linearity and the power rule, to simplify the integral.

2. Can you provide an example of simplifying an integral?

Sure! Let's say we have the integral ∫(2x + 3)^2 dx. We can simplify this by expanding the squared term to get ∫4x^2 + 12x + 9 dx. Then, we can use the power rule to integrate each term to get the simplified integral 4/3x^3 + 6x^2 + 9x + C.

3. What is the purpose of simplifying an integral?

The purpose of simplifying an integral is to make it easier to solve. Simplifying can also help you identify certain patterns or techniques that can be used to solve the integral more efficiently.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when simplifying an integral?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid. One is forgetting to add the constant of integration (C) when integrating each term. Another is incorrectly applying integration rules, such as the power rule or chain rule. It's important to double check your work and make sure you are applying the correct rules.

5. Is it possible to simplify all integrals?

No, not all integrals can be simplified into a closed form solution. Some integrals require advanced techniques or special functions to solve, and others may not have a solution at all. It's important to know when an integral can be simplified and when it cannot.