Help with symbols, propto sideways?

• Thread starter KateMonster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbols
In summary, the conversation was about a symbol used by a physics professor in his notes that the person was unfamiliar with. They found a similar symbol, but with a different orientation. They shared a link to the image, but it didn't load properly. They found a working link and it was identified as the Greek letter "gamma," possibly used in a relativity class. The symbol was later identified as the adiabatic index and the person expressed gratitude for the help.
KateMonster
My physics professor used a symbol in his notes that I was unfamiliar with, and so far the closest thing I have found to it is the propto. The only difference is that my prof used it vertically, with the open side up. I'm wondering if this is a different symbol entirely, or if he just tipped it for fun. Any input is greatly appreciated.

[PLAIN]http://imagebin.org/index.php?mode=image&id=86532

The image doesn't appear to be loading, so here's just the link
[PLAIN]http://imagebin.org/index.php?mode=image&id=86532

That's a picture of his symbol and he used it. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The image you posted as only one pixel, so no information in it!

But the link works right? It does on my screen at least.

Sure it works, but a one-pixel image isn't very helpful.

How about this one? http://imagebin.org/86540

If not I'm going to go destroy imagebin.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is about compressing gas in a cylinder and finding the pressure. I feel like it would be solvable if I just ignore those symbols, but they're probably there for a reason.

Thanks for the help guys :)

1. What does the symbol ∝ mean?

The symbol ∝ is often used in mathematics and physics to represent proportionality or direct proportion. It indicates that two quantities are related in a linear manner, meaning that as one quantity increases, the other also increases by a fixed amount.

2. How is the ∝ symbol used in equations?

In equations, the ∝ symbol is typically placed between two variables to show that they are directly proportional. For example, if we have the equation y ∝ x, this means that y is directly proportional to x and can be written as y = kx, where k is the constant of proportionality.

3. Can the ∝ symbol be used to show inverse proportion?

No, the ∝ symbol is only used to show direct proportion. To represent inverse proportion, the ∝ symbol is replaced by ∝.

4. How do you insert the ∝ symbol in a document or equation?

The ∝ symbol can be inserted into a document or equation by using the HTML code ∝ or by copying and pasting it from a symbol table or character map. It can also be found in the "Mathematical Operators" section of the Symbols menu in most word processing programs.

5. Are there any other symbols similar to ∝ that are used in science?

Yes, there are several symbols that are used to represent proportionality or direct proportion in science, including ∝, ∝ (proportional to), ∝ (proportional to or equal to), and ∝ (proportional to or approximately equal to). These symbols have slight variations in meaning and usage, so it is important to understand their distinctions when using them in equations.