Induction coil powering a crt: how does it work?

In summary, a professor recently demonstrated the use of an induction coil to power a cathode ray tube (CRT) without using two leads. The handheld device was plugged into the wall and had a metal point, which was brought near the cathode of the CRT. This caused electrons to travel from the tip of the coil to the cathode and then to the anode at the other end of the tube. The confusion lies in how this worked without plugging in the "other end" of the coil into the anode. The answer lies in capacitance - the potential difference between the tip of the coil and the ground in the outlet caused a potential difference between the anode and cathode, which resulted in the electrons traveling towards the an
wongal
A professor the other day used an induction coil power a crt tube like the one at the link below.

http://chemteacher.chemeddl.org/services/chemteacher/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=99

I understand the general idea of both induction coils and crts, but what confuses me is this: the induction coil he used was didn't have two leads: it was a handheld device plugged into the wall that had a metal point. He brought the tip of the coil near the cathode, and electrons (at least in my understanding) traveled from the tip of the coil to the cathode and then from the cathode to the anode at the other end of the tube. I don't understand how this worked without plugging in the "other end"/ground of the induction coil into the anode. Why does a potential difference between the tip of the induction coil and the ground in the outlet lead to a potential difference between the anode and cathode? Or, phrased a different way, why did the electrons from the cathode travel towards the anode and not in some random other direction?

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Capacitance is everywhere, and you especially notice it when the voltage is high and the alternating frequency is high.

In my time, we used a strange piece of equipment called a phonograph to llisten to music. The voltage from the phonograph usually wasn't very high and if you touched the input to the amplifier, you would be rewarded with a buzzing noise. It was caused by the capacitance between yourself and the house wiring.

1. What is an induction coil?

An induction coil is an electrical device that uses electromagnetic induction to produce high voltage and low current electricity. It consists of two separate coils of wire, the primary coil and the secondary coil, wrapped around a common iron core.

2. How does an induction coil power a CRT?

An induction coil powers a CRT (cathode ray tube) by converting low voltage, high current electricity from a power source into high voltage, low current electricity that is needed to light up the screen. The primary coil is connected to the power source, and the secondary coil is connected to the CRT.

3. What is the role of the iron core in an induction coil?

The iron core in an induction coil plays a crucial role in increasing the magnetic field strength. This is because iron is a ferromagnetic material, meaning it can be easily magnetized and demagnetized, allowing for efficient energy transfer between the two coils.

4. How does electromagnetic induction work in an induction coil?

Electromagnetic induction in an induction coil works by varying the magnetic field created by the primary coil. When an alternating current flows through the primary coil, it creates a changing magnetic field, which in turn induces a current in the secondary coil.

5. What are the advantages of using an induction coil to power a CRT?

Using an induction coil to power a CRT has several advantages, including efficient energy transfer, high voltage output, and the ability to step up or step down the voltage as needed. It also allows for a compact and lightweight design, making it ideal for use in electronic devices.