Help with temperature controller wiring

In summary, the conversation discusses the set up of a temperature controller for a stability chamber. The individual is planning to mount it in a radio shack project box and wants to know if using a relay is the best option. The response suggests that in stability chambers, the fan is typically left running all the time and the heaters and coolers are controlled to maintain the desired temperature and humidity. It is recommended to use a solid state relay instead of a relay from Radio Shack for better performance.
vincemash
I am working on a temperature controller, it controls a separate heating and cooling circuit...I want to hook it up so a fan also comes on any time the heating or cooling is activated.

The 4 circles are going to be outlets that I can plug into...the whole thing will be mounted into a radio shack project box.

Does the image below look like the best way to achieve this, or are there better options other than a relay:

[PLAIN]http://www.brew-beer.com/wiring%20fermenter.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Generally in the stability chambers I've worked in (+40°C, 75%HR to -85°C storage) you keep the fan running all the time and depending on the operational point you're trying to achieve determines how to run the heaters and coolers. If say you were wanting to keep the room/camber at room temp (25°C, 40%RH) not only would you keep the fan running but also the cooler/air-conditioner (sized to keep the room much below 25°C without adding heat). Then all you need is one controller to add heat and maintain your set-point. In my case where relative humidity need to be controlled, another controller was required with a RH sensor and an output to heat a steam generator; as the air-conditioner removes humidity. It is fairly easy to maintain ±1°C and ±5%RH. This is because you are "always fighting" the environment inside the chamber. This makes, once you reached your set-point, it very stable; nice straight line on your graph.

Now if the situation was that you wanted to keep it very cold (much below room temperature), you probably don't need a heater. There will be enough loss to the external environment to create the "fight".

Hope this helps.

Edit: I don't think your relay from Radio Shack will have good enough contacts/rating(?) But in any case, you would need to design it to be locked out to service, and in an enclosure that is NEMA certified for the job. IMO

Last edited:

What is a temperature controller?

A temperature controller is a device that is used to regulate the temperature of a system or environment. It can either turn on or off a heating or cooling source in order to maintain a desired temperature.

How do I wire a temperature controller?

The specific wiring instructions for a temperature controller will vary depending on the model and manufacturer. It is important to carefully read the instruction manual provided with the controller and follow the wiring diagram provided. If you are unsure, it is best to consult a professional electrician.

What are the different types of temperature controllers?

There are several types of temperature controllers, including on-off controllers, proportional controllers, and PID (proportional-integral-derivative) controllers. On-off controllers simply turn the heating or cooling source on or off, while proportional controllers adjust the output based on the difference between the desired temperature and the current temperature. PID controllers are the most advanced and use a combination of proportional, integral, and derivative control to maintain a more precise temperature.

What are the essential components of a temperature control system?

A temperature control system typically consists of a temperature sensor, a controller, and an output device such as a heating or cooling source. The temperature sensor measures the current temperature, which is then sent to the controller. The controller compares the current temperature to the desired temperature and adjusts the output device accordingly.

How do I troubleshoot wiring issues with my temperature controller?

If you are experiencing issues with your temperature controller, the first step is to check all of the wiring connections to ensure they are secure and properly connected. If the wiring appears to be correct, you may need to consult the instruction manual or contact the manufacturer for further troubleshooting steps.