Help with tensor formulation of special relativity

In summary: F}' = \left(F_{\alpha\beta}\right), \mathbf{g} = \left(g_{\alpha \gamma}\right), \mathbf{F} = \left(F^{\gamma \delta}\right), \mathbf{g}^{T} = \left(g_{\delta \beta}\right)and so this corresponds to a matrix multiplication. In summary, the given formula involves tensor operations, specifically the contraction of two rank-two tensors. This can also be interpreted as matrix multiplication, where the second tensor is transposed to reverse its indices and allow for the multiplication to take place.
lonewolf219

Homework Statement

Hi, I can't seem to understand the following formula in my professor's lecture notes:

F_αβ = g_αγ*g_βδ*F^(γδ)

Homework Equations

Where g_αβ is the diagonal matrix in 4 dimensions with g_00 = 1 and g_11 = g_22 = g_33 = -1 and F^(γδ) is the electromagnetic tensor with c=1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep wanting to perform matrix multiplication, but g_αγ*g_bδ would just be the unit matrix if we did this, right? I don't understand how to perform the RHS of this equation...

Physics news on Phys.org
lonewolf219 said:
I keep wanting to perform matrix multiplication, but g_αγ*g_bδ would just be the unit matrix if we did this, right?
##g_{\alpha\gamma} g_{\beta \delta}## is not matrix multiplication - it is an object with four free indices that are uncorrelated. In tensorial language, matrix multiplication corresponds to a contraction of two rank-two tensors. For example, ##A_{i j} B^{j k}## can be viewed as a matrix multiplication - try to compare this with the usual component-wise multiplication definition of matrix multiplication before reading on!

As for how to evaluate the RHS of the equation, well we have to perform a summation over the dummy indices. As an example, for ##\alpha = \beta = 0##, we have
[tex]F_{0 0} = \sum_{\gamma = 0}^{3}\sum_{\delta = 0}^{3} g_{0\gamma} g_{0\delta} F^{\gamma \delta}[/tex]
where I have put the summations in explicitly just to show things clearly.

Of course there is an easier way to do it since these are rank-two tensors - recall earlier that I mentioned that matrix multiplication involves contracting one index in a product of two such tensors. So, ##C_{i k} = A_{i j} B^{j k}## can be viewed as taking the i-th row of A and multiply it element-wise with the k-th column of B, which is what we do when we multiply matrices in the usual sense. If we rewrite the given equation as
[tex]F_{\alpha\beta} = g_{\alpha \gamma} F^{\gamma \delta} (g^{T})_{\delta \beta}[/tex]
(note that I've taken the transpose of the second ##g## to reverse the indices so that we can interpret it as matrix multiplication)
then we can write
[tex]\mathbf{F}' = \mathbf{g}\,\mathbf{F}\,\mathbf{g}^{T}[/tex]

1. What is a tensor in special relativity?

In special relativity, a tensor is a mathematical object that represents the relationship between different frames of reference. It is used to describe the geometric and physical properties of spacetime, including the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

2. How do tensors relate to the principles of special relativity?

Tensors are essential in the formulation of special relativity because they allow us to mathematically describe the transformation of physical quantities, such as time and space coordinates, between different frames of reference. This is crucial in understanding the effects of relative motion on the laws of physics.

3. Can you provide an example of a tensor in special relativity?

One example of a tensor in special relativity is the stress-energy tensor, which describes the energy and momentum of a system in spacetime. It is used in Einstein's field equations to relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy.

4. How is the tensor formulation of special relativity different from the traditional vector approach?

The tensor formulation of special relativity is more general and powerful than the traditional vector approach. Tensors allow us to express physical laws and equations in a covariant form, meaning they are independent of the coordinate system used. This is important in relativity, where the laws of physics should be the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

5. Are there any practical applications of tensors in special relativity?

Tensors have many practical applications in special relativity, including their use in the theory of general relativity, which describes the effects of gravity. Tensors are also used in cosmology to model the large-scale structure of the universe and in the development of technologies such as GPS, which relies on precise calculations of time dilation due to relative motion.