1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with tensor formulation of special relativity

1. Nov 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I can't seem to understand the following formula in my professor's lecture notes:

F_αβ = g_αγ*g_βδ*F^(γδ)

2. Relevant equations
    Where g_αβ is the diagonal matrix in 4 dimensions with g_00 = 1 and g_11 = g_22 = g_33 = -1 and F^(γδ) is the electromagnetic tensor with c=1.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I keep wanting to perform matrix multiplication, but g_αγ*g_bδ would just be the unit matrix if we did this, right? I don't understand how to perform the RHS of this equation...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2016 #2
    ##g_{\alpha\gamma} g_{\beta \delta}## is not matrix multiplication - it is an object with four free indices that are uncorrelated. In tensorial language, matrix multiplication corresponds to a contraction of two rank-two tensors. For example, ##A_{i j} B^{j k}## can be viewed as a matrix multiplication - try to compare this with the usual component-wise multiplication definition of matrix multiplication before reading on!

As for how to evaluate the RHS of the equation, well we have to perform a summation over the dummy indices. As an example, for ##\alpha = \beta = 0##, we have
    [tex]F_{0 0} = \sum_{\gamma = 0}^{3}\sum_{\delta = 0}^{3} g_{0\gamma} g_{0\delta} F^{\gamma \delta}[/tex]
    where I have put the summations in explicitly just to show things clearly.

Of course there is an easier way to do it since these are rank-two tensors - recall earlier that I mentioned that matrix multiplication involves contracting one index in a product of two such tensors. So, ##C_{i k} = A_{i j} B^{j k}## can be viewed as taking the i-th row of A and multiply it element-wise with the k-th column of B, which is what we do when we multiply matrices in the usual sense. If we rewrite the given equation as
    [tex]F_{\alpha\beta} = g_{\alpha \gamma} F^{\gamma \delta} (g^{T})_{\delta \beta}[/tex]
    (note that I've taken the transpose of the second ##g## to reverse the indices so that we can interpret it as matrix multiplication)
    then we can write
    [tex]\mathbf{F}' = \mathbf{g}\,\mathbf{F}\,\mathbf{g}^{T}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted