Help with these two exam questions

• Thread starter frasifrasi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary: I'm still not sure what I'm doing.In summary, the conversation was about finding the answers for two questions on an exam. The first question involved finding the derivative of a function and then using that to find the derivative of the inverse function at a specific point. There were multiple methods suggested for finding the derivative, including using the quotient rule or the power rule. The second question involved finding the integral of a function and using algebraic manipulation to rewrite it in a simpler form. Some confusion arose about the notation used in the question and the steps taken to solve it.
frasifrasi
I had these two questions in an exam and do not know how to find the answers...

find (f-1)'(3) for f(x) = sqrt (x^3 + x^2 + x + 6)

and

the int of x/(x + 4) dx

If anyone can get me started on these and show which steps I have to take, that would be great...

Physics news on Phys.org
I've got an idea about the first 1, but not 100% on it. I think that the derivative of a function is 1/the derivative of the inverse function, so just calculate the df/dx for x = 3, then the answer is the reciprocal of the number you get.

For the second question, ever thought about writing it as [itex] \int 1 dx - \int \frac{4}{x+4} dx [/itex] ?

Well, to begin with, how did you transform the integral into that? I triend doing y = (x +4), but it didn't work.

can you clarify what you meant for 1... You mean I should take the derivitative of that functiona and plug in 3 for x?

I assume that by (f-1) you mean the derivative of 1/f(x) (because if it were the inverse, the exercise would become quite messy and ugly). You can do this in two ways (three, actually):
a) Write [tex]1/\sqrt{\cdots} = (\cdots)^{-1/2}[/tex] and use the familiar rule.
b) Use the quotient rule
c) Use a rule for [tex]\frac{d(1/f(x))}{dx}[/tex] if you know it (otherwise you can derive it using b)

I don't really understand what is going on in 1 but 2 looks simple

[tex]\int \frac{x}{x+4} dx[/tex]

take [tex]\frac{x}{x+4} = \frac{x+4-4}{x+4} = \frac{x+4}{x+4} -\frac{4}{x+4} = 1-\frac{4}{x+4}[/tex]

so then

[tex]\int \frac{x}{x+4} dx = \int(1- \frac{4}{x+4}) dx[/tex]

I'm not entirely sure about the first part, but I think that if you find the derivative for f, then put 3 into the resulting equation, and then simply do (your answer)^-1 you will get the derivative of the function f^-1 at x = 3.

The second part, all I did was break the integral up. Is the following not true?
[tex] 1 - \frac{4}{x+4} = \frac{x}{x+4} [/tex]
If it is, then the integral of one (with respect to x), must be the integral of the other (w.r.t x). I just transformed the integral by inspection, there isn't anything special going on there.

CompuChip said:
I assume that by (f-1) you mean the derivative of 1/f(x)

yer. I'm assuming he means the inverse of the function. It's not exactly clear.

ppyadof said:
I'm not entirely sure about the first part, but I think that if you find the derivative for f, then put 3 into the resulting equation, and then simply do (your answer)^-1 you will get the derivative of the function f^-1 at x = 3.

That is not true.
As a counterexample, consider
[tex]f(x) = x; g(x) = f(x)^{-1} = \frac{1}{x}[/tex].
Clearly, [itex]f'(x) = 1[/itex], so by your argument we should have [itex]g'(x) = 1 / f'(x) = 1 / 1 = 1[/itex] for all x.
But actually,
[tex]g'(x) = - \frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]
which is in general not equal to 1 (in fact, if x is real, it will never hold).

You really need the quotient rule or "power rule" (I don't know what it's called - if it has a name - I mean the rule dx^n/dx = n x^(n-1)) to find the derivative of 1/f(x).

CompuChip said:
That is not true.
As a counterexample, consider
[tex]f(x) = x; g(x) = f(x)^{-1} = \frac{1}{x}[/tex].
Clearly, [itex]f'(x) = 1[/itex], so by your argument we should have [itex]g'(x) = 1 / f'(x) = 1 / 1 = 1[/itex] for all x.
But actually,
[tex]g'(x) = - \frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]
which is in general not equal to 1 (in fact, if x is real, it will never hold).

You really need the quotient rule or "power rule" (I don't know what it's called - if it has a name - I mean the rule dx^n/dx = n x^(n-1)) to find the derivative of 1/f(x).

I said that I wasn't sure about it - Thats my disclaimer :P

I meant the derivative of the inverse of the function at 3... Thanks for the help with the second question - I can't believe they did that +4 -4 thing!

I would still like help with 1, though. The answer is supposed to be 1.

Last edited:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}f^{-1}(x)=\frac{1}{f^{'}(f^{-1}(x))}[/tex]

Does that help at all?

honestly, no.

1. What are the two exam questions?

The two exam questions refer to specific questions on a given exam or test that require a response or answer from the student.

2. Can you provide assistance with these exam questions?

As a scientist, my expertise may not necessarily align with the subject matter of the exam questions. However, I can offer guidance and strategies for approaching and tackling exam questions in general.

3. How can I improve my performance on these exam questions?

To improve your performance on exam questions, it is important to study and understand the material thoroughly, practice with past exams or similar questions, and manage your time effectively during the exam.

4. Are there any specific techniques for answering exam questions?

Yes, there are various techniques for answering exam questions such as reading the question carefully, identifying key words and phrases, outlining your response, and providing supporting evidence or examples.

5. How do I approach difficult or challenging exam questions?

When faced with difficult or challenging exam questions, it is important to stay calm and focused, break down the question into smaller parts, and use your knowledge and critical thinking skills to come up with a logical and well-supported answer.