Help with this Brushless Generator Design Please

In summary, The speaker is designing a generator with a mix of designs based on a sketch of magnets and coils in concentric rings. They are wondering if it is possible to connect the three outputs into one, but have not calculated potential outputs. The polarity of the magnets will be N/S alternately and may shift for each ring. The inner ring may be eliminated due to hub stiffness.
AxeGrinder
TL;DR Summary
Hi, my first post here, thanks for checking it out!

I am trying to design a generator, which is a mix of several design's I like, based on the attached sketch which indicates layout of magnets and coils...
These components are layed out in concentric rings, the coils of each ring wired as an individual generator... I would like to connect these 3 outputs into one, is this possible? Each ring will produce different levels of power, although I've not done any calcs on potential outputs etc...
Rotor_Drum_2021-Jan-05_02-34-30AM-000_CustomizedView10910667907.png

Attachments

• Rotor_Drum.png
    Rotor_Drum.png
    156.9 KB · Views: 150
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
AxeGrinder said:
Summary:: Hi, my first post here, thanks for checking it out!

I am trying to design a generator, which is a mix of several design's I like, based on the attached sketch which indicates layout of magnets and coils...
These components are layed out in concentric rings, the coils of each ring wired as an individual generator... I would like to connect these 3 outputs into one, is this possible? Each ring will produce different levels of power, although I've not done any calcs on potential outputs etc...

View attachment 275673
I think we need to know the polarity of the magnets.

Likes AxeGrinder
tech99 said:
I think we need to know the polarity of the magnets.

The magnets will be oriented N/S alternately (I thought this was a constant, however, if there are more efficient arrangements, I'm all ears), and I think will shift one "step" for each ring

It is possible the inner ring will change drastically or even be eliminated, as the stiffness of the hub will be an issue

1. How does a brushless generator work?

A brushless generator uses a permanent magnet rotor and a stator with multiple windings to generate electricity. The rotor is connected to the turbine or engine, which rotates and creates a magnetic field. As the rotor spins, the magnetic field induces an electrical current in the stator windings, producing electricity.

2. What are the advantages of a brushless generator?

Brushless generators have several advantages over traditional brushed generators. They have a longer lifespan due to the lack of brushes that can wear down over time. They also have a higher efficiency and require less maintenance. Additionally, brushless generators produce cleaner electricity with less harmonic distortion.

3. How do I choose the right size brushless generator for my needs?

The size of a brushless generator is determined by the power output it can provide, measured in watts. To choose the right size, you will need to calculate your power requirements based on the appliances and equipment you plan to run with the generator. It's also important to consider the starting wattage of these devices, as they may require more power to start up.

4. Can a brushless generator be used for both residential and commercial purposes?

Yes, brushless generators can be used for both residential and commercial purposes. They are commonly used as backup power sources for homes, as well as for powering construction sites, events, and other commercial applications. The size and power output of the generator will vary depending on the specific needs of the user.

5. How do I maintain a brushless generator?

Maintenance for a brushless generator is relatively simple. It's important to regularly check and replace the oil, filters, and spark plugs according to the manufacturer's recommendations. The generator should also be kept clean and free of debris. It's also a good idea to run the generator for a short period of time every few months to keep it in good working condition.