What Schools Should I Apply for with My Grades and Extracurriculars?

In summary: You are also a very talented research assistant, so make sure you highlight that in your application. Finally, be sure to highlight any volunteer work or significant accomplishments you've had in your application letter. In summary, the high school junior is taking six APs, including AP Bio, Calc BC, and Writing, and has a 1450 SAT average and 750 math, 680 BIO, and 570 writing SAT II scores. They are also applying for three more APs. They are interested in physics and material science, and are stressing about their GPA. They are a leader in two clubs and tutor kids in school. They are applying to Ivy schools. If they improve their SAT scores, they should have a realistic shot at getting into any of the
rc
I am asking the same question that everyone asks.

I am a high school junior.

- took six APs in sophomore year - got 5 in AP Bio, 4 in Calc BC, 3 in rest.
- took SAT average score 1450
- my SAT II scores are average 750 in math, 680 in BIO 570 in writing
- taking 3 more APs - Physics B and C, Statistics
- taking mutlvariate calculus and linear algebra this year.
- have taken tough courses, but GPA is 3.3 out of 4 important

- did a research project six months as a freshman in - brain tumor - effect of chemotherapy on immunocompetent patients
- serving as a full-time (every afternoon 3-7 PM) as a lab assistant in plasma engineering lab, helping the doctorates
- might have a chance to co-author in one experiment, by October
- hoping to publish one or two more science research paper on my own

- leader in two clubs started the club
- tutor kids in school at the teaching assistance center everyday
- helping blind/disabled senior in the area for two years

- have one more year but do not know how best to make use of it

I want to major in physics/material science. Will I get into good Ivy schools - what schools should I apply for? I am losing sleep and am stressed.

Appreciate your advice and help.

Physics news on Phys.org
you remind me of my friend phil wang - apply for princeton, duke, yale, harvard, stanford - may the force be with you my young patawan!

It sounds like you have terrific extracurriculars, but mediocre scores and grades. Based on what I've seen from others' application outcomes, and my own experiences, I would guess that you have a very realistic shot at getting into the ivies, particularly the lesser ivies, but you shouldn't pin all your hopes on them. If I were you, I'd apply to a range of nice, but not absolute top-tier schools.

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, or Stanford might take you, but I would be very surprised if that happened.

If you have the opportunity to improve on your SAT scores, you shouldn't pass it up. Most schools will only consider your best scores, after all.

When you apply, make sure you emphasize your strengths - you've got a lot of them, but need to paint a clear picture of those strengths for the admissions committees.

1. How do I improve my chances of being accepted into an undergraduate program?

To improve your chances of being accepted into an undergraduate program, you should focus on your academic performance by maintaining a high GPA, taking challenging courses, and performing well on standardized tests such as the SAT or ACT. Additionally, participate in extracurricular activities, volunteer work, and internships to demonstrate your interests and skills outside of the classroom. Finally, make sure to carefully review and edit your application materials, including your personal statement and letters of recommendation.

2. What can I do if my grades are not as strong as I would like for admission?

If your grades are not as strong as you would like for admission, you can focus on other aspects of your application such as your test scores, extracurricular activities, and personal statement. You can also consider retaking any standardized tests or enrolling in challenging courses to show improvement in your academic performance. Additionally, you may want to explain any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your grades in your application.

3. Is it better to apply to multiple undergraduate programs or just focus on one?

It ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and preferences. Some students prefer to apply to multiple programs to increase their chances of acceptance and have options to choose from. However, this can also be a time-consuming and expensive process. If you have a specific program or school in mind that aligns with your academic and career goals, it may be more beneficial to focus on that one program.

4. How important are extracurricular activities and volunteer work for undergraduate admission?

Extracurricular activities and volunteer work can play a significant role in undergraduate admission. They demonstrate your interests, passion, and dedication outside of the classroom. Admissions committees look for well-rounded students who can contribute to their campus community, so it is essential to showcase your involvement and achievements in these areas. However, keep in mind that your academic performance and test scores are typically given more weight in the admissions process.

5. What should I include in my personal statement for undergraduate admission?

Your personal statement is an opportunity to showcase your personality, goals, and experiences to the admissions committee. It should be well-written, organized, and provide insight into who you are as a person and a student. You should include your academic and career goals, any relevant experiences or accomplishments, and explain why you are a good fit for the program. Be sure to proofread and edit your personal statement carefully to make a strong impression on the admissions committee.