Help Deriving Relativistic Momentum Equation 3.9

• I
  • Thread starter albertrichardf
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about a pdf on relativistic momentum derivation and the difficulty in deriving equation 3.9. The conversation also mentioned a reference and a book that could potentially help with the derivation. One person found the google preview of the book which contained the needed section and the equation was derived using an easy integral approach. The conversation then ended with appreciation for the approach and discussion of its potential applications.
albertrichardf
Hello.
I was reading through this pdf:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0402024.pdf
on relativistic momentum derivation, and I just can't seem to derive equation 3.9, which is an equation describing the relativistic velocity equation. According to the paper it is supposed to be easy, and apparently follows from equation (3.6). I tried finding the reference but I cannot find it.

Could someone explain how they derive that from 3.6? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Battlemage!
I did search for the paper before, but it was $30 to access. I found the google preview of the book just now, and it has just the section I need. Thank you.
If anybody else is interested, here it is:

https://books.google.mu/books?id=bf...ge&q=Boojums All the Way Through free&f=false

Not all pages are available but pages 250-252, which contain the equation and its derivation are what is needed for the paper

Last edited:
Likes Battlemage!
Albertrichardf said:
Hello.
I was reading through this pdf:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0402024.pdf
on relativistic momentum derivation, and I just can't seem to derive equation 3.9, which is an equation describing the relativistic velocity equation. According to the paper it is supposed to be easy, and apparently follows from equation (3.6). I tried finding the reference but I cannot find it.

Could someone explain how they derive that from 3.6? Thank you.
Wow I really like this approach. Great find. Love how easy you can pull out the non-relativistic momentum just by an easy integral. Same with the relatavistic momentum, though it's a bit more work on the integral.

Battlemage! said:
Wow I really like this approach. Great find. Love how easy you can pull out the non-relativistic momentum just by an easy integral. Same with the relatavistic momentum, though it's a bit more work on the integral.
I love this approach too. I found the paper a few years ago, but each time I tried reading it I understood only about half of it, so every few months or so I just try reading it through to see if I can follow it. I'm finally able to follow it, and after reading it I love the way it sets up the momentum integral. It is very interesting too because their approach makes few assumptions about the mechanics, so you can easily transfer the ideas over for other mechanics, as they show by deriving both classical and relativistic momentum.

1. What is the relativistic momentum equation and how is it derived?

The relativistic momentum equation is a mathematical expression that relates an object's momentum to its mass and velocity, taking into account the effects of special relativity. It is derived from the Lorentz transformation equations, which describe how measurements of space and time differ between observers in different inertial reference frames.

2. What is the difference between the classical momentum equation and the relativistic momentum equation?

The classical momentum equation, p=mv, only applies to objects with non-relativistic speeds. The relativistic momentum equation, p=γmv, takes into account the effects of special relativity and becomes more accurate at high speeds.

3. How is the Lorentz factor (γ) incorporated into the relativistic momentum equation?

The Lorentz factor, γ, is a term in the relativistic momentum equation that accounts for the increase in an object's mass as it approaches the speed of light. It is equal to 1/√(1-v²/c²), where v is the velocity of the object and c is the speed of light.

4. Can the relativistic momentum equation be applied to objects with zero mass?

No, the relativistic momentum equation requires an object to have mass in order to calculate its momentum. For objects with zero mass, such as photons, the equation is not applicable and a different approach must be used to calculate their momentum.

5. How is the relativistic momentum equation used in practical applications?

The relativistic momentum equation is used in various fields of science, such as particle physics and astrophysics, to accurately calculate the momentum of objects traveling at high speeds. It is also used in engineering applications, such as in the design of spacecraft and high-speed vehicles.