Help with understanding this momentum problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the sign convention used in physics for movement along a line. The post impact x velocity is considered negative when it travels towards the left, while the initial x velocity of the ball is positive when it travels towards the right. The person thanks the expert for clarifying the use of the minus sign and apologizes for not responding earlier due to internet issues.
Kolika28
Homework Statement
I understand the task and what I supposed to do. The only thing I don't understand is why I need a minus sign when calculating ##v_x##
Relevant Equations
##v_x=v*cos(\theta)##
1591012467673.png

Solution on the link: https://www.slader.com/textbook/9780321675460-university-physics-13th-edition/269/exercises/12/

Physics news on Phys.org
The initial x velocity of the ball is considered to be positive; therefore, the post impact x velocity is negative (opposite direction).

Likes Kolika28 and Delta2
Here we have the typical sign convention used in physics when we have movement along a line: we consider one direction (lets say to the right) positive while the opposite direction (to left) negative. So velocity is considered to be positive when it travels towards the right and becomes negative when it travels towards the left.

Likes Kolika28 and Lnewqban
Sorry, for not answering before now. My internet has been down the last couple of days. I understand the minus sign now. Thank you so much for your answers, I really appreciate it!

Likes Lnewqban and Delta2
You are welcome :smile:

Related to Help with understanding this momentum problem

1. What is momentum and why is it important?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is the product of an object's mass and velocity. Momentum is important because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What are the units of momentum?

Momentum is typically measured in kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s) in the metric system, or in slug-feet per second (slug*ft/s) in the imperial system.

4. How does momentum relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Momentum is closely related to Newton's laws of motion. Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This is related to the concept of momentum because an object's momentum will remain constant unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's second law, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration, can also be rewritten as F = dp/dt, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. This shows the direct relationship between force and momentum.

5. How can understanding momentum help in practical applications?

Understanding momentum can be useful in many practical applications, such as designing safer cars, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, and analyzing collisions. It can also help in understanding the behavior of fluids and gases, as well as the movement of objects in space.