Dealing with Input Offset Voltages in Op-Amp Circuits

In summary, the circuit is designed to have an input offset voltage to give a zero voltage output. The offset is dependent on temperature, and from part-to-part. The circuit is working as intended.
jeuhyis
Hi first time poster. I'm a little stuck, through trial and error on Mentor graphics I was able to create the attached circuit. Using +&- 9V supply rails I managed to output -10mV, which I required. Now I have come round to try and work it out by hand I'm struggling to remember how! I know that the first part is basically a potential divider but how does this work with a positive and negative voltage?

Any help greatly appreciated

Attachments

• Voltage Divider.jpg
    Voltage Divider.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 405
Engineering news on Phys.org
Treat it as a divider between 18V and 0V and then subtract 9V from the output voltage.

The two supplies on the left and the two resistors can be replaced with an equivalent single supply and single resistor.

R = 10*8.87/(10+8.87) KOhms

V = (9+9)8.87/(10+8.87) - 9 Volts

Phrak said:
The two supplies on the left and the two resistors can be replaced with an equivalent single supply and single resistor.

R = 10*8.87/(10+8.87) KOhms

V = (9+9)8.87/(10+8.87) - 9 Volts

So therefore using this
R = 10*8.87/(10+8.87) KOhms = 4.7KOhms

V = (9+9)8.87/(10+8.87) - 9 Volts = -0.53895V

So then is there some calculation required using the 500K and 1K utilising the -0.53895V to reach the 10mV?

Thanks for your help so far

That's an odd combination of components. What's it for?

Vout = -0.539[10/(500 + 4.7 + 10)]

not 10mV, but -10mV

Its for an input offset voltage on the non-inverting input of an op-amp to give a zero voltage output. I spent ages designing an RMS circuit for a sound level meter and then I hit this problem. Managed to figure out what offset was required simulated that circuit but then I could remember how to hand calculate!

jeuhyis said:
Its for an input offset voltage on the non-inverting input of an op-amp to give a zero voltage output. I spent ages designing an RMS circuit for a sound level meter and then I hit this problem. Managed to figure out what offset was required simulated that circuit but then I could remember how to hand calculate!

Input offset voltages vary with temperature, and from part-to-part. What opamp are you using? There may be a more reliable way to deal with the input offset voltage. Can you post your schematic?

berkeman said:
Input offset voltages vary with temperature, and from part-to-part. What opamp are you using? There may be a more reliable way to deal with the input offset voltage. Can you post your schematic?

Here's a screen shot of what I've been designing. I am happy with the overall performance of the circuit, its being used within a group to create a sound level meter, and i have this working as a Type 0 with a 60dB dynamic range.

Attachments

• RMS Circuit.jpg
    RMS Circuit.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 417

1. What is a voltage divider?

A voltage divider is an electronic circuit that divides a higher voltage into a lower voltage by using two resistors in series. It is commonly used in electronic devices to provide a specific voltage for components.

2. How does a voltage divider work?

A voltage divider works by using Ohm's law, which states that the voltage across a resistor is equal to the current flowing through it multiplied by its resistance. By placing two resistors in series, the voltage is divided between them in proportion to their resistance values.

3. What is the equation for calculating voltage in a voltage divider?

The equation for calculating voltage in a voltage divider is Vout = Vin * (R2 / (R1 + R2)), where Vin is the input voltage, R1 and R2 are the resistance values of the two resistors, and Vout is the output voltage.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a voltage divider?

The accuracy of a voltage divider can be affected by several factors, including the tolerance of the resistors used, changes in temperature, and fluctuations in the input voltage. It is essential to use precision resistors and consider these factors when designing a voltage divider circuit.

5. When should I use a voltage divider?

A voltage divider is commonly used in electronic devices to provide a specific voltage for components such as transistors, LEDs, and sensors. It is also used in power supplies to provide a stable output voltage. A voltage divider is a simple and cost-effective way to regulate voltage and can be used in various applications.