Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with voltage divider

1. May 1, 2010 #1
    Hi first time poster. I'm a little stuck, through trial and error on Mentor graphics I was able to create the attached circuit. Using +&- 9V supply rails I managed to output -10mV, which I required. Now I have come round to try and work it out by hand i'm struggling to remember how! I know that the first part is basically a potential divider but how does this work with a positive and negative voltage?

Any help greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2010 #2
    Treat it as a divider between 18V and 0V and then subtract 9V from the output voltage.

4. May 1, 2010 #3
    The two supplies on the left and the two resistors can be replaced with an equivalent single supply and single resistor.

R = 10*8.87/(10+8.87) KOhms

V = (9+9)8.87/(10+8.87) - 9 Volts

5. May 1, 2010 #4
    So therefore using this
    R = 10*8.87/(10+8.87) KOhms = 4.7KOhms

V = (9+9)8.87/(10+8.87) - 9 Volts = -0.53895V

So then is there some calculation required using the 500K and 1K utilising the -0.53895V to reach the 10mV?

Thanks for your help so far

6. May 1, 2010 #5
    That's an odd combination of components. What's it for?

Vout = -0.539[10/(500 + 4.7 + 10)]

not 10mV, but -10mV

7. May 1, 2010 #6
    Its for an input offset voltage on the non-inverting input of an op-amp to give a zero voltage output. I spent ages designing an RMS circuit for a sound level meter and then I hit this problem. Managed to figure out what offset was required simulated that circuit but then I could remember how to hand calculate!

8. May 1, 2010 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Input offset voltages vary with temperature, and from part-to-part. What opamp are you using? There may be a more reliable way to deal with the input offset voltage. Can you post your schematic?

9. May 2, 2010 #8
    Here's a screen shot of what I've been designing. Im happy with the overall performance of the circuit, its being used within a group to create a sound level meter, and i have this working as a Type 0 with a 60dB dynamic range.

Attached Files:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook