Help with volume of revolution question

In summary: I appreciate the help!In summary, the volume obtained by rotating the region between the graph of y=0.5(sin(x^2)^2) and the x-axis (from 0 to pi) about the y-axis is calculated using the method of shells, and the resulting integral is π∫sin^2(u)du, from 0 to pi, where u=x^2.
student93

Homework Statement

Find the volume obtained by rotating the region between the graph of y=0.5(sin(x^2)^2) and the x-axis (from 0 to squareroot pi) about the y-axis.

The answer pi^2/4, but I don't understand how to get the answer, I can set up the integral but can't simplify it to that answer.

Homework Equations

y=0.5(sin(x^2)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

First to get the radius in terms of y -> y=0.5sin^2(x^2), thus √arcsin(√2y)=x

The volume is thus calculated via the disk method and is equal to the integral of pi√arcsin(√2y), from 0 to √pi. I don't know where to go form there,maybe I didn't set up the integral correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
thisisssu said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume obtained by rotating the region between the graph of y=0.5(sin(x^2)^2) and the x-axis (from 0 to squareroot pi) about the y-axis.

The answer pi^2/4, but I don't understand how to get the answer, I can set up the integral but can't simplify it to that answer.

Homework Equations

y=0.5(sin(x^2)^2)

The volume is thus calculated via the disk method and is equal to the integral of pi√arcsin(√2y), from 0 to √pi. I don't know where to go form there,maybe I didn't set up the integral correctly?

Hi thisisssu!

I suggest using method of cylinders instead of disk as we are rotating about the y-axis.

thisisssu said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

y=0.5(sin(x^2)^2)

The radius of what?

I think you're saying that
$$V = \int_0^\sqrt\pi \pi r\,dy,$$ where r is the radius you describe above. This isn't a correct application of the disk method. Also, I'm assuming you're trying to integrate with respect to y because you wrote the integrand in terms of y. If that's the case, your limits aren't correct because those are x values.

In any case, the disk method is not a good choice for this particular problem. Take Pranav-Arora's advice and use cylinders.

I've attached the problem in this post to avoid any confusion, also by "cylinder method", I'm assuming you're actually referring to the shells method?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-01-26 at 4.41.31 AM.png
    Screen shot 2014-01-26 at 4.41.31 AM.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 420
thisisssu said:
I've attached the problem in this post to avoid any confusion, also by "cylinder method", I'm assuming you're actually referring to the shells method?

Yes!

So I tried the shell method and ended up getting pi/2 which is not the correct answer. I was able to set up the integral which was the integral of 2pi0.5sin^2(x^2)xdx from 0 to √pi etc., with the height and radius being 0.5sin^2(x^2) and x respectively. Is my setup wrong?

No, that looks right. It seems you didn't evaluate the integral correctly.

I verified via wolframaalpha, and it doesn't come out to pi^2/4, but 1.56 which is essentially pi/2, so I'm assuming I didn't set up integral correctly or maybe I did screw up somewhere while trying to solve the integral? Could someone help me evaluate this integral.

You're typing it in wrong to Wolfram Alpha then. Show us your work so we can point out where you're going astray.

V=2π∫(1/2)(sin^2(x^2))(x)dx, from 0 to √π
V=π/2∫sin^2(u)du, from 0 to √π, with u=x^2 and du=2xdx (I started having trouble simplifying after getting up to here).

That's almost correct. You should have
$$ V = \frac{\pi}{2} \int_0^\pi \sin^2 u\,du.$$ The upper limit is ##\pi##, not ##\sqrt\pi##. You want to use a trig identity for ##\sin^2 u##.

vela said:
That's almost correct. You should have
$$ V = \frac{\pi}{2} \int_0^\pi \sin^2 u\,du.$$ The upper limit is ##\pi##, not ##\sqrt\pi##. You want to use a trig identity for ##\sin^2 u##.

Could you please explain why the upper limit is π? Also how did you calculate the upper limit as π?

student93 said:
Could you please explain why the upper limit is π? Also how did you calculate the upper limit as π?
The limits are x=0 to x = √π. (Without the "x=" they're incomplete, technically.) With u = x2, that's u=x2=0 to u=x2=π.

Thanks, I finally ended up getting the correct answer after using the correct limits.

What is a volume of revolution question?

A volume of revolution question is a type of problem in calculus that involves finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape formed by rotating a curve or region around an axis. This type of problem often requires the use of integration to solve.

How do I approach a volume of revolution question?

To solve a volume of revolution question, you first need to understand the given curve or region and the axis of rotation. Then, you can use the appropriate formula for finding the volume of revolution, such as the disk method or washer method. Finally, you will need to set up and solve an integral to find the exact volume.

What is the difference between the disk method and washer method?

The disk method is used to find the volume of a solid of revolution formed by rotating a region around an axis, where the cross-sections are perpendicular to the axis and have a circular shape. The washer method, on the other hand, is used when the cross-sections are not circular and have a hole in the middle, creating a washer-like shape. This method requires the use of the outer and inner radius in the formula for volume of revolution.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a volume of revolution question?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a volume of revolution question include forgetting to use the appropriate formula, not understanding the given curve or region, and making errors in setting up or solving the integral. It is important to carefully read the question and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

What real-life applications are there for volume of revolution questions?

Volume of revolution questions have many real-life applications, such as calculating the volume of a water tank, finding the volume of a bottle or can, or determining the amount of material needed to create a certain shape in manufacturing. These types of problems can also be used in physics to find the moments of inertia of objects.