1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with volume of revolution question

1. Jan 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the volume obtained by rotating the region between the graph of y=0.5(sin(x^2)^2) and the x-axis (from 0 to squareroot pi) about the y-axis.

The answer pi^2/4, but I don't understand how to get the answer, I can set up the integral but can't simplify it to that answer.

2. Relevant equations

y=0.5(sin(x^2)^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

First to get the radius in terms of y -> y=0.5sin^2(x^2), thus √arcsin(√2y)=x

The volume is thus calculated via the disk method and is equal to the integral of pi√arcsin(√2y), from 0 to √pi. I don't know where to go form there,maybe I didn't set up the integral correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2014 #2
    Hi thisisssu!

I suggest using method of cylinders instead of disk as we are rotating about the y-axis.

4. Jan 26, 2014 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The radius of what?

I think you're saying that
    $$V = \int_0^\sqrt\pi \pi r\,dy,$$ where r is the radius you describe above. This isn't a correct application of the disk method. Also, I'm assuming you're trying to integrate with respect to y because you wrote the integrand in terms of y. If that's the case, your limits aren't correct because those are x values.

In any case, the disk method is not a good choice for this particular problem. Take Pranav-Arora's advice and use cylinders.

5. Jan 26, 2014 #4
    I've attached the problem in this post to avoid any confusion, also by "cylinder method", I'm assuming you're actually referring to the shells method?

Attached Files:

6. Jan 26, 2014 #5
    Yes!

7. Jan 26, 2014 #6
    So I tried the shell method and ended up getting pi/2 which is not the correct answer. I was able to set up the integral which was the integral of 2pi0.5sin^2(x^2)xdx from 0 to √pi etc., with the height and radius being 0.5sin^2(x^2) and x respectively. Is my setup wrong?

8. Jan 26, 2014 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, that looks right. It seems you didn't evaluate the integral correctly.

9. Jan 26, 2014 #8
    I verified via wolframaalpha, and it doesn't come out to pi^2/4, but 1.56 which is essentially pi/2, so I'm assuming I didn't set up integral correctly or maybe I did screw up somewhere while trying to solve the integral? Could someone help me evaluate this integral.

10. Jan 26, 2014 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're typing it in wrong to Wolfram Alpha then. Show us your work so we can point out where you're going astray.

11. Jan 26, 2014 #10
    V=2π∫(1/2)(sin^2(x^2))(x)dx, from 0 to √π
    V=π/2∫sin^2(u)du, from 0 to √π, with u=x^2 and du=2xdx (I started having trouble simplifying after getting up to here).

12. Jan 26, 2014 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's almost correct. You should have
    $$ V = \frac{\pi}{2} \int_0^\pi \sin^2 u\,du.$$ The upper limit is ##\pi##, not ##\sqrt\pi##. You want to use a trig identity for ##\sin^2 u##.

13. Jan 27, 2014 #12
    Could you please explain why the upper limit is π? Also how did you calculate the upper limit as π?

14. Jan 27, 2014 #13

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The limits are x=0 to x = √π. (Without the "x=" they're incomplete, technically.) With u = x2, that's u=x2=0 to u=x2=π.

15. Jan 28, 2014 #14
    Thanks, I finally ended up getting the correct answer after using the correct limits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted