1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with what I think it's an impossible integral!

1. Aug 27, 2012 #1
    So they give me the equation 3y2=x(1-x)2

The idea is to find the surface area of the volume obtained by rotating around both axes.

So let's start with a rotation around the x-axis, I decided to rewrite the equation as:
    y=√(x(1-x2)/3)

I know that the surface area for a parallel rotation is S=∫2∏r√((dr/dx)2+1)

and I know the derivative of the function, so I end up with:

S=∫2∏r√2(1-3x2)/(6√(x-x3)/3))+1)

How the HELL am I supposed to integrate that?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2012 #2
    I think you made a mistake in determining the integrand. What you have for the dy/dx is not what I got when I differentiated the function (you also write the function as containing x(1-x)^2 initially and then when you rewrite it in terms of y you have an x(1-x^2) but I believe I got something different when I used either). Also, it doesn't look like you squared the dy/dx in the integrand. Finally, keep in mind that the r is equal to the value of the function, so you have to plug that in (You give the function in terms of y, but then you have r and dr/dx in the formula - those should be y and dy/dx... in this case, the radius is the height of the function)

4. Aug 28, 2012 #3
    I can't even read that. Please consider typing up those integrals in LaTeX.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook