Hey i need some help in calculating the thermal efficiency of steam turbine

In summary, to calculate the thermal efficiency of a pass out steam turbine with an extraction for process, you will need to know the mass flow rates, turbine work output, and exhaust conditions of the steam. This can be determined through a First Law analysis by calculating the heat flow through the system. The thermal efficiency can then be found using the formula: 1 - Work output / {Q(in) - [Q(out) + Q(ext)]}. It is also important to convert the generator output into a heat equivalent.
Amr Ali 33
guys i just wanted to know the formula by which i can calculate the thermal efficiency of a pass out steam turbine( a steam turbine with an extraction for process ) I've attached a simple diagram explaining my problem can anyone please help !

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 563
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need more information than what is shown on the diagram, specifically the mass flow rates into the turbine and out the exhaust and extraction line, and you'll need to know the turbine work output. The exhaust conditions of 13" Hg are also a little ill-defined. Calculating the thermal efficiency of this machine is what a First Law type of analysis gives you.

thanks , I've adjusted the diagram and added the data u requested i hope it's ok now , i would like to say that this is a very old power plant and that's what i could get out of it so please simplify the problem as much as the first law tolerates

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    23.8 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:
Amr Ali 33 said:
thanks , I've adjusted the diagram and added the data u requested i hope it's ok now , i would like to say that this is a very old power plant and that's what i could get out of it so please simplify the problem as much as the first law tolerates

From this point, it's a bit of a slog with a calculator.

The thermal efficiency of the turbine = 1 - Work output / {Q(in) - [Q(out) + Q(ext)]}

You'll have to get some steam tables and look up the enthalpies of the steam at the inlet, the extraction, and the exhaust to calculate the amount of heat flowing thru the system. The generator output is turned into a heat equivalent at he rate of 3412.14 BTU/kW-hr

thank you

1. What is thermal efficiency?

Thermal efficiency refers to the percentage of heat energy that is converted into mechanical work in a steam turbine. It is a measure of how well the turbine is able to convert heat energy into useful work.

2. How is thermal efficiency calculated?

Thermal efficiency is calculated by dividing the work output (in this case, the mechanical work produced by the steam turbine) by the heat input (the amount of heat energy supplied to the turbine). This value is then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage.

3. What factors affect the thermal efficiency of a steam turbine?

The thermal efficiency of a steam turbine can be affected by various factors, such as the quality and pressure of the steam, the design and condition of the turbine, and the operating temperature and pressure of the turbine.

4. Can thermal efficiency be improved?

Yes, thermal efficiency can be improved by optimizing the design of the turbine, using higher quality and higher pressure steam, and maintaining the turbine in good condition. Regular maintenance and upgrades can also help improve thermal efficiency.

5. Why is thermal efficiency important?

Thermal efficiency is important because it directly affects the performance and cost-effectiveness of a steam turbine. A higher thermal efficiency means that more heat energy is being converted into useful work, resulting in lower operating costs and better overall performance of the turbine.