Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi guys. Imagine how dumb I feel for never having heard of this

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    Hi guys. Imagine how dumb I feel for never having heard of this equation before today. I have a serious exam coming up and the only thing I know is that this will definitely be coming up.

I know it's applications, but I have no clue how to apply it proper. There are no calculators allowed and I don't know how to get a log.

Help? I'm pretty desperate here.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 18, 2011 #3
    Re: Henderson-Hasselbalch?

this eqn. can be used not only in acidic and basic buffers but also in any equation involving ionic equilibrium.instead of the concentration of the salt you might also put the conc. of the ion of the electrolyte , still the eqn. holds good.
    ph=pKa + log[salt]/[acid] or ph = pKa + log[anion]/[aci]d and so on.
    learn to calculate simple logarithms.this will do the trick for the exam.practise 6 to 7 evaluations of log and u will be on.
    all the best for your exam.

5. Oct 18, 2011 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: Henderson-Hasselbalch?

HH equation is just a rearranged dissociation constant, it HAS to hold, as long as you put equilibrium concentrations in it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook