Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi, i have a question about Gravitons

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    hi, i have a question about "Gravitons"

do gravitons exist? I'm wondering what is gravity made up of. as they say light is made up of photons, then what is gravity made up of?
    or is it only that fabric of space-time that takes place here?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: hi, i have a question about "Gravitons"

No one has come up with a good model for quantum gravity yet, so we don't know for sure whether gravitons exist or not. A graviton would be a quantum of gravitational radiation just like a photon is a quantum of electromagnetic energy. A quantum is the smallest unit of energy of that you can have of a given frequency.

4. Feb 5, 2010 #3
    Re: hi, i have a question about "Gravitons"

I agree with Janus. And heres something more from wikipedia:
    In physics, the graviton is a hypothetical elementary particle that mediates the force of gravity in the framework of quantum field theory. If it exists, the graviton must be massless (because the gravitational force has unlimited range) and must have a spin of 2 (because the source of gravity is the stress-energy tensor, which is a second-rank tensor, compared to electromagnetism, the source of which is the four-current, which is a first-rank tensor). To prove the existence of the graviton, physicists must be able to link the particle to the curvature of the space-time continuum and calculate the gravitational force exerted.

Since graviton is hypothetical, there is no proof that it really exists.
    You can also go to this link to learn more:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graviton

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook