Why Can't I Download Anything After Restoring Windows XP?

• Thread starter smhx3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi pc
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's frustration with their Windows XP computer after restoring it. They are unable to download any programs due to a .net passport issue from MSN. The speaker has signed up for a LIVE account and redid the .net passport process, but is still unable to download programs. They also mention wanting to disable the .net passport requirement and not being able to find the firewall in the control panel. The advice given is to switch to Ubuntu Linux as a better alternative.
smhx3
Hello everyone.
okay so here is my situation, I restore my home computer of windows XP.
now that i have done that, it is telling me i can't download anything becuz of a .net passport from msn.
i signed up for a LIVE account for it, and i re-did the .net passport thingy, so when i
entered the screen name and password for it, it tells me its wrong
I am putting in the correct password, its not case sensitive becuz it is all lower case.
im trying to put google chrome and reinstall adobe flash/ java back on but it says i cant.
how do i disable that so i can download tose things freely.
but if i do need the .net passpord, why does it continuously saying error to continue.
when everything is correct... if I am able to disable great, oh and i don't see the firewall anywhere in the control panel, i have the windows xp home edition

Computer science news on Phys.org
My advice - give up on Windows. Why pay money for a bloated product when you can get a better product for free? Go to http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download a copy of Ubuntu Linux and all of these problems will vanish.

Related to Why Can't I Download Anything After Restoring Windows XP?

1. Why is my PC running slow?

There could be several reasons for a slow PC, such as a lack of memory or storage space, outdated hardware or software, or malware. It is best to run a diagnostic test or seek professional help to identify the specific cause.

2. How can I fix a frozen screen or unresponsive program?

First, try closing the program or restarting your PC. If that doesn't work, you can use the task manager to force quit the unresponsive program. If the issue persists, it could be a sign of a larger problem, such as a virus or outdated software.

3. How do I know if my PC has a virus?

Some signs of a virus on your PC include slow performance, unexpected pop-ups, and changes in your homepage or search engine. You can also use antivirus software to scan your PC for any malicious activity.

4. What should I do if my PC won't turn on?

First, check that all cables and connections are secure. If that doesn't work, try a different power outlet or power source. If the PC still won't turn on, it could be a hardware issue, and you may need to seek professional help.

5. How can I improve the lifespan of my PC?

Regular maintenance, such as cleaning the hardware and updating software, can help prolong the lifespan of your PC. It is also essential to have proper ventilation and avoid placing your PC in extreme temperatures. Backing up your important files can also protect your data in case of a hardware failure.