Hi, I was just wondering

  • Thread starter sridhar_n
  • Start date
  • #1
85
0
If False the same as Not true?

Undoubtendly, this is a question in Quantum Mechanics which was why I put it up here and not a Philosophical Question though it may sound like one...


Sridhar
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
4,309
217
do you have any reason to believe otherwise.
we even have the notation for it.

p-truth
~p- not truth- false.
 
  • #3
85
0
...

I was just thinking if not true does not completely coincide with false. False is a "perfect" statement isn't it??? Which means u are totally avoiding it.

Sridhar
 
  • #4
jcsd
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,090
11
It is well known that p ≡ ~(~p). Though what has this got to do with quantum mechanics?
 
  • #5
jcsd
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,090
11
Also I should add that a statement is only a statement if it can either be false or true, it is not a statement if it is not either (law of excluded middle)
 
Last edited:
  • #6
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
4,309
217
so the statement "im a liar" isnt a statement?
 
  • #7
85
0
...

Can u give me a statement on whether an electron is a particle or a wave. You shoudn't say both.....

Sridhar
 
  • #8
jcsd
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,090
11
Originally posted by loop quantum gravity
so the statement "im a liar" isnt a statement?
No, because it can be true or false without contradiction. However a statemnt should not reference itself i.e.: "this statemnet is false".
 
  • #9
jcsd
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,090
11


Originally posted by sridhar_n
Can u give me a statement on whether an electron is a particle or a wave. You shoudn't say both.....

Sridhar
p: An electron is a particle

is true

q: An electron exhibit wavelike properties

is also true
 
  • #10
85
0
Haven't u read abt Feynman's Statement about an Electron on whether it is a particle/wave "It is like neither"


Sridhar
 
  • #11
jcsd
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,090
11
Originally posted by sridhar_n
Haven't u read abt Feynman's Statement about an Electron on whether it is a particle/wave "It is like neither"


Sridhar
It depends on how you define the concepts of particles and waves, an electron is classified as a particle.
 
  • #12
jcsd
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,090
11
What Feynman was really talking about were the classical concepts of 'wave' and 'particle', which we know the electron does not follow.
 
  • #13
85
0
However the statement is Equivalent....
 
  • #14
jcsd
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,090
11
Originally posted by sridhar_n
However the statement is Equivalent....
equivalent to whatm (also note that the wavefunction of an electron is not the same thing as the electron)? Basically: firstly you need to define the parameters of membership for the set of all particles and the set of all waves; depending on how you define these sets you might find that the electron is an element in both, one or neither. If you decide to define them as mutually exclusive yet you find that the elctron should be a member of both, there is a flaw in your defintion, not in logic.
 
  • #15
85
0
also note that the wavefunction of an electron is not the same thing as the electron
Agreed.. but, the wave packet explanation of an electron obeys both the wave and particle properties.

What do u have to say abt this?

Sridhar
 
  • #16
jcsd
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,090
11
Originally posted by sridhar_n
Agreed.. but, the wave packet explanation of an electron obeys both the wave and particle properties.

What do u have to say abt this?

Sridhar
You can't really call a single elctron a wave but wave-like behviour is certainlyu exhibited over many elctrons as a result of the wavefunction.
 
  • #17
370
0


Originally posted by jcsd
p: An electron is a particle

is true

q: An electron exhibit wavelike properties

is also true

Show me the truth?..When is a Particle TRUELY like an Electron

When are the properties of an Electron Wavelike?
 
  • #18
jcsd
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,090
11


Originally posted by ranyart
Show me the truth?..When is a Particle TRUELY like an Electron

When are the properties of an Electron Wavelike?
An electron is always an electron, but it does show some wavelike propetires for example it's distribution in the two-slit experiment.
 
  • #19
370
0


Originally posted by jcsd
An electron is always an electron, but it does show some wavelike propetires for example it's distribution in the two-slit experiment.
Give me an Example of Electron being a true Electron 'Particle'.

Now give me the same Electron in the same configuration, showing me its 'Wavelike' properties.
 
  • #20
turin
Homework Helper
2,323
3
Originally posted by jcsd
If you decide to define them as mutually exclusive yet you find that the elctron should be a member of both, there is a flaw in your defintion, not in logic.
Well said. They seem to be ignoring this.
 

Related Threads on Hi, I was just wondering

  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
1K
Replies
7
Views
987
Replies
39
Views
5K
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
1K
Replies
1
Views
485
Replies
2
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
10
Views
2K
Replies
1
Views
4K
Top