Hi.I'm finishing my first year of Undergraduate CS with relative

In summary, the speaker is finishing their first year of undergraduate CS and is considering taking a 30-credit minor in either Applied Math or Physics. They are interested in pursuing a career in Bioinformatics, Scientific Computing, or Theoretical CS and are wondering which minor would be most helpful and enjoyable. They mention that their CS program already covers some aspects of Applied Mathematics, and they are considering studying Graph Theory on their own. They are also wondering if courses in real analysis would be beneficial for their chosen career paths.
Max.Planck
Hi.

I'm finishing my first year of Undergraduate CS with relative ease. We have the opportunity to take 30 credits worth of classes in another field of study (minor). I'm thinking of taking either an Applied Math or a Physics minor. For Math I was thinking about taking classes in abstract real analysis and applied analysis and for Physics I was thinking about optics.
I would like to go into Bioinformatics, Scientific Computing or Theoretical CS after my Bachelors. What kind of minor will help me the most and will be the most fun?

Regards,
Max.Planck

Physics news on Phys.org

If you're planning on CS grad school, knowing more math would probably be quite helpful. I know my school's CS department recommends a solid background in linear algebra and discrete math (namely combinatorics and graph theory) to grad school hopefuls.

Right. My CS program already has a lot of overlap with Applied Mathematics in the Discrete Math. I already have to take Discrete Math I&II, Lin Alg, Algebra, Calc I&II, Probability. I'm thinking of studying Graph Theory on my own. My question is, would real analysis (Analysis I&II, Lin Analysis, Complex Function Theory) help me for Scientific Computing/Theoretical CS? The theoretical CS group focuses on Natural Computing, so I thought, maybe a Physics minor would also be an option.

What is Undergraduate CS?

Undergraduate CS stands for Undergraduate Computer Science. It is an academic program that focuses on the principles and applications of computer science, such as programming, data structures, algorithms, and software development.

What does it mean to finish a year of Undergraduate CS?

Finishing a year of Undergraduate CS means completing all required courses and credits for that academic year. This typically includes a combination of core computer science courses, mathematics courses, and electives.

What is the difference between Undergraduate CS and other computer-related majors?

Undergraduate CS is a more general and comprehensive program that covers a broad range of topics in computer science, while other computer-related majors may have a more specific focus, such as information technology, computer engineering, or software engineering.

What can I expect to learn in my first year of Undergraduate CS?

Your first year of Undergraduate CS will likely focus on fundamental concepts and programming skills. You can expect to learn about data types, control structures, functions, and object-oriented programming. You may also take courses in discrete mathematics and computer organization.

What are some career opportunities for Undergraduate CS graduates?

Some common career paths for Undergraduate CS graduates include software developer, computer systems analyst, data analyst, web developer, and information security analyst. With a strong foundation in computer science, you may also have the flexibility to pursue various other roles in technology and beyond.